You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 pm 

I'm looking for support and advice. I have the trilogy (allergies, eczema, asthma), and I have really been suffering with my allergies for too long. Today, like every other day, I have blown my nose a million times, but it is still stuffed up and runny, rubbed my eyes and scratched my skin. I’m exhausted! The eczema on my hands and face never seem to heal, and I'm just waiting to get an appointment with a dermatologist. But what else can I do to feel better?

I take daily anti-histmaines and run the hepa-filter, but I can never breath clear. I use elocom on my hands and ellidel and hydroval on my face, but they are cronically red, flaky, itchy, and now I have a weeping spot on my temple that won't heal(hence the dermatologist).

My biggest allergy is to mold (I was prick tested last at 16, I'm now 30 yo). So I keep a clean house, and try to avoid my food triggers. I'm tired of being sick all the time. What else can I do? Can an allergist help me, or will they just say "yup, you're allergic." Has anyone tried accupunture? Homeopathic medicine? TCM? Any success?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi PairieGal, chonic illness can take it's toll on your energy and moral. I'm glad you're making some moves to get some help. Have you seen an allergist recently?

You mention you diagnosis by SPT about 14 years ago. There has been a lot of research on immunological conditions in that time. I would urge you to seek out an allergist to confirm that you are avoiding your triggers. Remember that you can become allergic at any time. You may well have developed new allergies.

I know we say this a lot but...keep a diary of what you eat, drink, apply to your skin etc. You may find a trend. Your allergist/dermatologist will find this information useful.

Allergic Living has covered the issue of indoor air quality with many articles. If you click on the word "articles" at the top left, it will bring up a list of articles full and excerpts for you to look at.

Have you considered a Neti pot to help deal with your stuffy nose and itchy eyes?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Hi PrairieGal,

Quote:
what else can I do to feel better?

I second Susan's great advice. Get to an allergist. Sounds like you have perennial rhinitis, and there are some good prescription nasal sprays and such that can help a lot, depending on what the allergist thinks of your condition. Antihistamines can be tiring if you're not using the newer, non-sedating ones. Allergist can also help with the eczema, though in some cases would still suggest a dermatologist who handles allergic skin conditions.

Keep us posted. We can at least lend moral support. :)

Fyi, where are you from? Many people from the Prairies here.
I'm a Torontonian now, but grew up in Winnipeg and Saskatoon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm 

Alright, I've taked your advice and asked my GP for a referral to an allergist. Meanwhile, I'm reading all of these allergy articles. Thanks. I honestly wouldn't have tried an allergiest if you hadn't suggested. I've seen one before, and all he did the skin prick test. My GP says the test aren't reliable, and never reccommended an allergist for anything else.

PS - I'm in Edmonton.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Few tests are 100% reliable. Allergists are skilled at reading all the factors, and then putting them together much like the pieces of the puzzle.

Allergists are up to date on the advances in the scientific and medical communities. Information is changing rapidly, what was thought o be the best practice 7 years ago (when my daughter was first diagnosed) is out of date now.

GP's cannot possibly stay up to date on all specialties. This is why it is important to refer to allergists (for allergies) and respirologists (for asthma).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Oh good, good luck with the appt.

Susan mentioned keeping a diary of reactions/symptoms. Really good idea since the allergists judge by your symptoms "history" as well as the tests.

e.g. do you get the runny nose in your bedroom or carpeted rooms more than other rooms? (That could indicate dust mite allergy.) If you can tell a difference in where you are, what you've been doing when the symptoms become the worst, make note of it.

When you get eczema breakouts, have you been handling anything with chemicals? wearing rubber gloves?
Specifics like that really help the allergist.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 pm 

I have been keep a diary. When I notice I'm particularly reactive, I write down what I ate within the last day. Last night I got super itchy all over. Was it the hummus I ate for supper? Or was it because I was irritated with my husband? I had a shower, changed clothes, got DH to cream me, and felt much better. Then I ate some canned peaches and thought "those were yummy, I'm glad I'm not allergic. hey - while I'm I scratching the corners of my mouth?". Grrr.

I also noticed that I'm really allergic Wed mornings. Is that because I was at band Tue night? But I go to band Wed night too, and I'm not allergic Thu morning. Is it because my Tue band mate has horses? Then why was I still sick this Wed if she was absent this week?

I am particularly stuffed up in the morning. My mission this weekend is to pick up those dust mite covers. I'm sure it will help. I even have a new silk filled pillow, which is supposed to be good too.

OMG - I just realized this is about all I think about all day. How sad. Ok, pity party over, moving to something more fun now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

I hear you.

I'm more about finding answers than pity party.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:10 pm 

I can't get my year round environmental allergies under control either, and I'm not a good candidate for allergy shots at the moment. I find that the corticosteroid sprays work for a little while...then they stop working. I second the neti pot recommendation (I use non iodized sea salt). When I first tried it, it just didn't work for me because my nasal passages were too swollen. I tried. I really did. But then I gave up. One of my doctors suggested I keep at it anyhow--rinsing the nasal passages even a little bit is better than not at all. So I started up again, and *eventually*---success! I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't solve all my nasal rhinitis problems, but it does help.

I rarely ever get eczema, so I can't help you there. Eczema can be tough to deal with.