Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Florida and Disney World
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 pm 

Hi all,

Just new to this website. My family and I are planning a trip to Disneyworld in Florida and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for allergy friendly restaurants. We will be staying in either in a time share or rent a home with kitchen facilities but want to be able to go to some restaurants once in awhile. My daughter is allergic to pistachios, cashews, mango, sesame and poppy seed. My son is allergic to peanuts and dairy. Thanks in advance.

Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:23 pm 

Welcome Grace, I have never been but I'm sure there are many on the forum with great tips. You might get more replies back in you also post your question regarding Disney World in the travel forum.
It would be greatly appreciated when you return from your trip if you could post with any advice you have for others. We also hope to go to Disney World in the next year or so.
:D

The travel section and the dining out section might be good places to hunt for previous threads on Disney World. I found this link from the Allergic living site regarding Disney.
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=154

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm 

We were in Disney World in the fall and had a great time, people in the Disney Parks were very knowledgeable about allergies. The kiosks in the parks that sell food have binders with ingredients in them that they willingly offer out. The WDW-DINE phone line is great as well, they can tell you which foods in which restaurants have issues; I talked to them several times, and had someone call me back with further information as well. I highly recommend phoning ahead for all of your reservations as you can put your family's food allergies in the reservation (you can do this online as well). Some of them require advanced payment, but that can be refunded if you change your mind with notice (we had luck with this).

We went to a character breakfast at the Beach Resort (I've heard the all of them are great) and had the chef come to our table, ask the kids what they wanted to eat, and then make them allergy-free waffles for breakfast. This was great for us because their waffles were warm and crispy but the buffet ones are cold and floppy! I've heard that Disney World is better than Disneyland so if you've had bad luck there, not to worry. You'll likely still need to avoid buffets but that's easy enough to do :)

Have a GREAT time, my kids were just talking about the TEST TRACK ride at Epcot.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Orlando is tourist "Mecca". Most "better" restaurants pride themselves on being able to accomodate.

Disney is very allergen aware and you can bring food in. There are lockers that you can rent, you have unlimitted access and get 50% of the $ back when you return the key at the end of the day (tape the receipt to the inside wall of the locker so you can find it at the end of the day-they'll give you a bit of tape if you ask).

We stayed off site near the convention centre. We ate at the Magic Kingdoms Cinderella's Royal Palace (great for princess autographs-they come to your table!) as well as Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café (I simply mentioned food allergies and they brought out the the chef who reviewed the allergies and recommended several items (we chose 1/2 a roasted chicken and 2 sides of rice which was plenty for myself and 2 little girls). We purchased a smoked Turkey leg from the Lunching Pad (several places sell these) and cut it up to make wraps. We also enjoyed Portobello's http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/portobello/ and Wolf Gang Puck's (upstairs) at Downtown Disney.

Other than that, we packed sandwiches and salads and fruit or ate out of our hotel room. Bring water/drinks and leave them in the locker. Drinks are expensive and the ater fountains at Magic Kingdom tasted bad. (Different locations have different tasting water so this is a matter of opinion)

I communicated by e-amil prior to going and this is one of the e-mails i received:
Quote:
Thank you for inquiring about how the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort handles special dietary requests. We now have special dietary information on our website at the following link.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest- ... -requests/

The attached documents should help you with your planning. Please check the Walt Disney World Resorts Dietary Reference Sheet and it will give you more information regarding the products we carry.

Please complete and return the "Guest Allergy - Dietary Request Form" by email to [specialdiets@disneyworld.com] or fax to 407-560-1355. Be sure to list the restaurant names and dates where you plan to dine. This way we can alert all the various restaurant Chefs and Managers of your upcoming visit and there would be no need for you to contact the individual restaurants directly.

Due to the large volume of meals we serve, vendors and suppliers occasionally swap out product. Therefore menu items and preparation is often updated. We stress that you ask to speak to a Chef or Manager when you arrive at each location. They will be happy to assist with your selection and provide product labels and ingredients for menu items.

At Disney's Animal Kingdom, our Animal Programs keepers roam the Park throughout the day and at any given time could have nuts in their pocket to use for demonstration and educational purposes while handling birds. Birds are located in just about every area of the Park. Be mindful that these keepers would have nut oil on their hands and remnants in their clothing.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Brenda Bennett
Special Dietary Request
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort
407-824-5967

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:25 am 

Quote:
Brenda Bennett
Special Dietary Request
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort
407-824-5967

Wow, they have a person who's position is 'special dietary requests!!! Impressive.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Admin

They do a lot of Kosher and diabetic meals as well.

Disney is all about making dreams come true! :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:08 pm 

I remember reading somewhere that the "head" chef for all of Disney World has a milk allergy, so he makes extra sure that his staff are very well-trained. I think it was from a link on the Allergy Moms website, they had interviewed him.

We're hoping to go next year as well - will probably rent a nearby condo so we can do alot of our own prep.