You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello from a Newbie!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:17 pm 

I just wanted to say hi! And thank whoever came up with website/magazine. My parents first found out that I had a severe allergy to tree nuts when I was three. Since then I've been anaphylactic. I've had my needle for 6+ years. I'm can't have Tree Nuts, Seafood or Shellfish. I also have severe allergies (not deadly) to dogs, cats, horses, anything fuzzy and the great outdoors.

I'm really looking forward talking to and sharing stories with everyone.

Jamie :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:49 pm 

HI jamie,

I am fairly new to this website as well. Could consider myself a newbie.

I am a parent of an allergic child. We've known about his allergy since he was 2 years old and he is now 6 years old.
What was your biggest challenge growing up with such allergies, i.e. at school and at play.

Welcome and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Post subject: i'm also new
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:25 am 

hello:
i have no idea about message boards and how they work but i knew i had to join this one when i read some of the posts. my son has peanut, tree nuts, egg, strawberry, and sesame seed allergies. he also has asthma and seasonal allergies. from what i've read they seem to go hand in hand. my son is 4 1/2 and he is going to start kindergarten next year. we live in a suburb of boston, ma usa. i think this is a canadian site right? anyway, my son's school is in the dark ages regarding peanut allergy and i'm trying to gather as much info as possible. they actually post his picture in the cafeteria so the entire school knows he has a pnut allergy. like he's a leper or something. i just think there has to be a better way? i have received the info from the faan network and plan on approaching his school with their suggestions. i'm amazed that i find myself in a position to "fight city hall" so to speak. thank you for letting me vent, introduce myself and i too look forward to hearing more about this issue.
laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:26 am 

Welcome Laura,
I had come across some info regarding legal rights of kids with anaphylaxis and asthma that is US.

http://www.access4allergickids.com/Section_504.html

My husband has allergies and has been through the school system. Severe food allergies were less common, less understood back then and he is thankful his allergies were not publicized to fellow students. He feels that if his classmates, who already teased him about his asthma and being small for his age knew about the food allergies, the food would have been used against him. He feels strongly that photos of kids stating their allergens paints a giant target on their back that says "attack me with peanuts". We are all for awareness among teachers and staff, but telling all the other students has the potential to do more harm than good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:26 pm 

Laura, welcome to the site! I actually think that the school is on the right track here...they are trying to make sure that everyone knows of your son's allergy which could save his life in case of emergency. I can certainly understand why this could cause some embarrassment....especially if he is the only PA kid in the school. Maybe posting his picture in the staff room would be a better idea?

I do think the school should educate the students and the teachers about this as well. I don't necessarily think that being labelled as "peanut allergic" will necessariily cause your son to be teased if the school educates the students and emphasizes that they need to make a community effort to protect your son. A school which takes allergies seriously as this school seems to be doing shouldn't tolerate bullying.

My sister was teased because of her allergies, but I don't think that would have happened if the students and the teachers/lunchroom staff/principal were educated about her allergies. The first incident happened because her so-called friends accused her of lying about the severity of her allergy....they didn't understand at all. And I'm sorry to say the school principal did not take death threats seriously...he had this 'kids will be kids' attitude. (My parents went in to talk to him.) I think that a lot of the bullying in schools that occurred when I was a kid occurred because it was allowed. Adults, too, discriminate against people who are 'different' and they seem to expect kids to as well. I think your child will have less of a chance of being bullied in a school where allergies are seen as a serious problem.

One of my sisters used to be a teacher---in her classroom, she asked the students not to bring peanuts and peanut butter into the class because of her allergy, and all the kids really took it seriously and wanted to help keep her safe. She worked for a time with a child who was severely disabled---the disease he has caused blindness as well as other major health problems + he has a short life expectancy. The other kids in the school were very supportive and kind to him. I suppose that I don't really know that much about kids (don't have any myself) but I'm optimistic about the possibility of building a supportive community for kids with special needs.