You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:30 pm 

Hi there - I'm new to the board. I'm a mom of a 2.5 yr old son who was diagnosed at 18 mos with a cow's milk protein allergy. He does not require an epipen, but his more recent testing showed his allergy is getting worse. We've been told though that he can try dairy in baking. I'm on here to see which recipes I should try to introduce dairy into baking. Muffins with some butter in the recipe? Pancakes with some cow's milk in the recipe? Where should I start that would be easiest? I fear he will vomit/get hives/itchy mouth even if he tries it in baking....
Any help would be GREAT! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:37 am 

Welcome and good luck! Our son's milk allergy was diagnosed at 11 weeks, and we were told to try milk every 3 months. By the age of 2, we were sent to an allergist as every time we tried it he got red lips / eyes, and vomited (never that serious, but he was obviously very uncomfortable when it happened even though we would only give him ~ 1/2 ounce). His allergist confirmed the allergy, and told us complete avoidance was the only way he could grow out of it. 2 years later we had an accidental exposure (when he was 4) and it was anaphylaxis. It was only at this point in time when we were prescribed our first Epi-pen. He has since had 3 more anaphylactic reactions. He is 10 years old now, and still has RAST > 100 for milk (he's also allergic to nuts and shellfish, but has never had an accidental exposure to either of those things - only the reactions that he had when he was fed them the 1st time).

With our experience, it proved the common advice that a prior history of mild reactions does not necessarily mean that they won't be serious in the future. So keep that in mind as you attempt this - many, many kids successfully grow out of the milk allergy, but it can turn even more serious in others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Jcarks.

This article should offer some guidance:
http://allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=384

Though I am surprised/concerned that you're not asked to have your son try a baked good sample in the doctor's office first, especially if he's testing "more" positive and you don't own an Epi.

Can you ask to try this in the waiting room, just in case?