You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:34 pm 

Hi Everyone! :D

Wow.. you guys have some cool smilies!! :bouncygreen lol! (sorry... i'm a smilie lover!). Anyways, i'm a 36 yr old SAHM of 4 fabulous kids! I've always had skin conditions, eczema, have gotten hives, etc... and never really put 2 and 2 together to think that it could possibly be food allergies. :scratchy I was in and out of the doctors when I was a kid and was given lotions, creams, pills, etc... to "cure" my eczema. It eventually got a bit better, but in the last 7 yrs it got worse than ever. I decided to do my own research on eczema and lo & behold figured out that it was caused by my food allergies. I've always been "lactose intolerant" and had allergies to tree nuts & soy, but didn't think that the little bit of dairy (butter, hard cheeses) could be doing me in. Well I started an eliminiation diet, finally cutting out dairy 100% and my eczema has gotten so much better. But since cutting these things out I also cut out gluten to see if that was also a culprit, I just reintroduced it back into my diet with not so nice effects. (Sever Gastro pains, eczema rash back within 10 minutes, itchy eyes, killer headache, etc..). So that's out too. Another thing I can't eat is chicken... factory farmed or organic... the factory farmed does the same thing dairy does to me (severe gastro pain, itchy eyes, eczema rash back, etc..). The organic isn't as bad, but I still feel crappy/gassy after eating it.

To cut this a bit short, as long as I cut out my trigger foods (tree nuts, peanuts, soy, chicken, gluten/wheat, dairy) out of my diet my eczema is GONE! No gastro pains, no itchy eyes, etc... but, it's SO hard finding foods i'm able to eat. I do eat *very* healthy, my diets consists of fruits & vegetables, brown rice products, & a bit of meat protein. I seem to be "ok" with organic pork and beef.

I'm finding it hard to get used to all of this, i've always had these allergies, just figured I was bound to feel horrible after I ate most of the time and figured that my skin conditions were here to stay.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on, I guess you know my story now. :wink: I'm so happy I found this board with people who can relate to what i'm going through, i'm having a heck of a time lately! :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 am 

Hi there and welcome! Yes, this board is fabulous and I was so happy to find it a couple of years ago when my daughter was diagnosed.

Glad to hear that you were able to find your food culprits!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:10 am 
Site Admin

Hello and welcome! :D

While I'm glad you're feeling much better, that is a long list of food restrictions. Have you been to an allergist to confirm all of the allergies?
They can help to pinpoint the allergen and you may find that you can add certain foods back into your diet. Having gotten yourself to the symptom free state is a benefit in testing as your body won't be in that state of hyper responsiveness. :banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:44 am 

No, I haven't been to an allergist yet, but when I've had nuts/soy my lips swell, itchy tongue & throat, etc... So I stay away. The dairy is for sure, no doubt about that one, and every time I have chicken I'm in pain. The only one I'm still trying to figure out is the wheat vs. gluten.

If I go to an allergist, I don't need to eat these foods right? They would just do skin prick test?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Usually. AFter the extensive history taking, there are blood tests (RAST) and Skin Prick Tests. Oral challenges are only done when they are fairly certain you aren't allergic.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2898
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=27

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 am 

Thanks Susan! :mrgreen: