You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Unknown Anaphylaxis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm 

Hi, I am new to this site but thought it looked like a great place for some feedback. I had my first Anaphlactic shock about 8 years ago while traveling abroad. Since then, I have had about 7 more episodes. I've seen a few different allergist and unfortunetly I had positive testing to so many different things, that they can't pinpoint exactly what I should avoid(dust mite, mold, trees, grasses). More recently (less than a year) I was told I also have food allergies, which is another long list of things (corn, celery, tomates, oats, avacado). These are things I eat on a regular basis. I have exercise induced anaphylaxis, which means I feel the reacation come on after several minutes of working out and getting my heart rate up.

My real concern now is that I just found out I'm about 6 weeks pregnant. Two days before I found out I was pregnant, I had another episode, and had to inject my epipen. I've seen the Dr. and they said it's a life or death situation so I must use the epipen if I have a reaction. But there isn't much research on the effects of anaphylaxis and pregnacy. They also said Claritin is ok to take while pregnant and should be taken everyday to avoid a reaction.

Has this every happened to anyone who was pregnant and what are the possible risks?

Post subject: Re: Unknown Anaphylaxis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:13 pm 

Welcome to the forums, congratulations on your pregnancy and sorry to hear about your difficulties.

I've been doing a lot of reading on allergy testing of late (about to get my set) and it seems like they should have given you numerical readings on your specific allergins?

This is a case of neccesary medication to maintain the life and health of the mother...you had no choice except to use that epi-pen and you won't have a choice if you need it again either.

Now a bit of educated speculation..epi-pens are epenepherine (sp?) which if I remember correctly is synthetic adrenoline and adrenoline is what our bodies naturally produce as part of the "fight or flight responce" my educated guess is injecting the equivalent of adrenoline shouldn't cause harm to your child-to-be. The risk would lie more in the stress to your body from pregnancy, anaphylaxis, epenephrine, and worrying about all of it combined.

I know a fair amount about medicine and the body but I am not a doctor so this is an educated guess.

If you have numerical scores for allergens concentrate on avoiding the big ones but try to avoid them all, read labels carefully for hidden allergens and talk to your doctor about your concerns.

FYI: I also vaguely remember reading that allergies can change during pregnancy

Good Luck and G-D Bless,

Michele

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Tate, were you diagnosed by your GP or an allergist? You need to find a good allergist who can help you pinpoint the cause of your allergies. You may be in a state of hyper-sensativity right now and my avoiding the foods, you may be able to get the reactions under control. You might be able to add some of them back into your diet later.

You need someone who understands how to handle food allergies during pregnancy from the perspective on controlling/possibly medicating for symptoms as well as ensuring you have adequate nutrition during this formative time.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:37 pm 

Tate wrote:
They also said Claritin is ok to take while pregnant and should be taken everyday to avoid a reaction.

Who is "they"? An allergist? an OB/GYN? other?

~~

I was in a similar situation to the one you are in. I was having reactions (including anaphylactic) and didn't know a specific cause. Scratch testing showed a long list -- and both the allergist and I felt it was a whole lot of uselessness. False positives. I'm NOT saying yours are false positives (how would I know?). But, we felt mine were -- and we were right.

I did eventually figure out two foods causing my problems. When I eliminated those two foods and all trace amounts, my reactions to other things (including cats and dogs) also stopped.

Now, about the pregnancy.....when I got pregnant with my third baby I was taking an anti-histamines daily. I can't remember which one. I called Mother Risk at Toronto Sick Kids Hospital. They advised me that the anti-histamine I was taking was considered "drug of choice" during pregnancy. That does not mean they said it was "safe" -- it meant there were no known side-effects.

Regarding epi-pen....I thought it would be to dangerous while pregnant. I refer to getting epinephine in the hospital as my Linda Blair impression...I shook the bed off the floor. Sounded quite risky to a baby. The nurse & doctor I spoke with at MotherRisk reminded me that the baby is floating around in water -- so not violent in there. They also pointed out that without it I die, and the baby can't survive that. Avoidance of allergens is the best choice, but if needed getting epi is not known to be a risk to the baby.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm 

Should add;

I took the antihistamine daily during pregnancy - never needed epi. The baby was born full-term, no health complications. He does have some allergies (not to food) - but so do my other kids.

I recommend if you are in Toronto, or any other city with a large Children's Hospital see if they have MotherRisk or something similar and call them. My OB preferred answers from them about meds rather then from the allergist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 pm 

Good luck trying to find a doctor/allergist who knows anything about corn allergy...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:38 am 

I had a very bad reaction when i was about 20 weeks gestation. my first thing to do at the time was to take ?cor-triplon? (I think that was the name of what I took) I should have started with my epi I know and have learned. At the hospital they gave me more than one dose of epi when I said I was concerned about the baby they said if I don't make it neither will the baby! They did say the babies heart will beat a little faster as well. On the other hand the cor-triplon or what ever it was that I took they told me it could (at around 12 week) cause cleft palate. Even though we were not dealing with this timing I did not count toes and fingers first I looked at his mouth, all was fine. He was two weeks late and 9.5lbs and has been the pic of health. I am sure all will be fine, taking care of mommy will take care of baby. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:18 am 
Site Admin

I'm not a Dr and I know very little on this subject but...epinephrine is a chemical that occures naturally in the body and the mothers body acts as a large buffer and filter for the baby. Most birth defects (not all but most) occur so early in the pregnancy ei. neural tube closure (4th week). By the time you realize that you are pregnant, much has been decided.

I suppose that for those of us with girls who have asthma and food allergies, part of "the talk" should include having a good asthma/allergy action plan when being sexually active and/or starting to think about starting a family.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Tate, I go back to Susan's original question: was it a GP or an allergist you spoke to about your allergies & pregnancy?

I'd make sure I'd seen an allergist I trusted just to review some of the issues with a new roster of allergies, and whether the daily antihistamine was right for your own case. Some of the allergies you mention can be Pollen Allergy Syndrome (e.g. celery, avocados) OR they can be food allergies that can cause anaphylaxis. If you've been told you've got the latter, then yes you'll need to be extra careful about avoidance.

I guess everybody's body reacts differently, but I've had epinephrine 4 or 5 times now and I refer to it as the tap that turns off the reaction. Unlike Anna Marie, my symptoms are violent up until I get the epinephrine. The Epi just settles everything miraculously down.

Fyi, as Anna Marie, Susan and Paige are saying, I've been told by experts I've interviewed about pregnancy that if, despite best avoidance efforts, you accidentally consume an allergen and begin to have a serious reaction, you're better to use the Epi. As others here are saying, mother's health = baby's health. And they say it's not dangerous. Still, if pregnant, I'd certainly be getting straight to Emerg. after an EpiPen.

Mother Risk for support is smart idea, too. Best with finding out more in your own case, and here's to a healthy, hopefully reaction-free pregnancy.
:)

P.s. re exercise-induced anaphylaxis, see: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=335

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:59 pm 

Gwen, I think I'm in the minority with that happening after epi. MAYBE it's because I waited to long to get it. (That's what happens when an allergist says there is NO CHANCE your reactions will become anaphylactic-you stop carrying it yourself.)