You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:15 pm 

Hi!

A friend of mine recommended me to ask this question on this forum as she was certain someone would have the answer.

I took a bartending course a number of years ago. During the process my father would pick different alcohols to test out my skills.

In this process, I made a drink (a Golden Cadillac) which contains the following:
Dark Creme de Cacao (1/4oz)
Galliano
Milk/Cream

After drinking this, the inside of my mouth was quite itchy and my throat was a little tight. My meal wouldn't have been anything out of the normal and I am definitely not allergic to Galliano and Milk/Cream.

The following day, I made a Chocolate Banana Martini which contains the following:
White Creme de Cacao (1oz)
Vodka (2oz)
Banana Schnapps (1oz)

Again same situation, the only difference is that I awoke in the middle of the night barely being able to breathe and massive hives all over my chest. I was thinking about going to emergency but opted to take a couple of benadryl and wait about 30 minutes to see if it would help. Fortunately it did.

Now I should point out now that I am fortunate in that I have very few allergies. I have a slight reaction to insect stings and I'm quite allergic to Aminophylline (I had childhood asthma).

I seem to recall that the ingredient list of dark creme de cacao is:
cocoa (of which I am not allergic to)
alcohol (of which I am not allergic to)
sulfites (seems like it would be this but I've never had a rx to anything else with sulfites)
food colouring (seems it would be this)

White creme de cacao is:
all of the above without the food colouring.

It appears that I am allergic to both of the creme de cacao's and since have avoided them. My concern is that I will get a bad rx to some peculiar strain of sulfites or food colouring without being able to avoid it in the future. I tend to stick to a pretty healthy diet: vegetarian, low soy consumption, all organic food, low wheat consumption.

Any help would be great!
:thanksign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Again same situation, the only difference is that I awoke in the middle of the night barely being able to breathe and massive hives all over my chest. I was thinking about going to emergency but opted to take a couple of benadryl and wait about 30 minutes to see if it would help. Fortunately it did.

Not sure what you're reacting to, but until you know - get thee to a doctor for an EpiPen!
Barely able to breathe and hives all over your chest is anaphylaxis! This can turn deadly, if you get it again, use the Epi - a very safe drug.

Meantime, start by avoiding creme de cacao as it's the common denominator.
2. Find out what brand you would have had to drink. Call the maker, explain that you're getting reactions and need to know the ingredients so you can discuss with your doctor. Different brands can have different formulations.
3. Discuss with the ingredients / symptoms with a doc, soon as you can. You'll likely need a referral to an allergist and you should get some priority given those symptoms.

Question - have you ever had trouble with nuts or eggs? Sometimes the former can be added to liqueurs, sometimes the latter is used in fining (that can be the case in wine, not sure with liqueur).

Anybody else have ideas on what "could be" in creme de cacao?
Sch - I'd still be sure to ask the maker directly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, we've got some good introductory anaphylaxis info on this page: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/cat ... gy-basics/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:38 am 

Thanks Gwen,

I'll go see a doctor asap. The brand was McGuinness Creme de Cacao (both brown and white). I have no known allergies/sensitivities to nuts and eggs. So it's still a bit of a mystery. I'll see if I can track down the company info.

Thanks,