You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:52 pm 

Hi. I've been reading this board for several weeks now and I new having allergies, especially my food allergy. In January I was diagnosed with allergies to dust, dust mites, feathers and ragweed pollen. I am currently undergoing allergy shots for those allergens.

Several weeks ago, I had a sever outbreak of hives, about 4 hours after eating a large shrimp dinner. I also had a racing heart of over 100 beats per minute. I went to the emergency room where my reaction was stabilized with high doses of benodryl, prednisone and pepcid. I was also given an Epipen. I followed up with my allergist for more testing and tested positive on a skin test to shellfish (lobster, crab and shrimp) especially the crustecans. Thus I am a relative newbie to navigating the world of living with a food allergy. I am finding it difficult to eat out (which is something I love to do...I am an amataeur foodie) because I am so scared of a reaction and the risk of cross contamination. To make matters worse, I am leaving for a vacation in Florida next week and I will be visiting the Gulf Coast and there's nothing but seafood restaurants there!

Come to think, I may have had an intolerance to shellfish all along in recent years. Many times when I ate out I usually ordered shellfish and many times I have been kept up at night after eating such a meal by what I thought was gastroesophegal reflux. I'd experience bloating, stomach/abdominal pain, gas and sometimes vomiting. Other times I could eat shrimp and be fine. It makes me wonder if my allergy wasn't lurking all along.

That's my story and why I am here on this board. I look forward to posting/contributing and hearing what others have to say. I'm so pleased to have found a community like this where we can all share.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome!
Try not to worry too much about travelling, there are some good links on the website about travel.
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/cat ... allergies/

Make sure you have a couple of epipens, carry them on your body-don't pack them in your checked baggage!

Check your accomodations, often times they'll give you a fridge and microwave to use. You can purchase some foods and prepare meals in your room to eat there or take along with you-think of the time and money you'll save.

Florida is tourist mecca! They try very hard to accomodate travelers call restaurants in advance and speak to either the chef or the manager about your allergies. Try not to turn up at the busiest time of the day-you want attention to detail.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb