You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 pm 

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am the mom of two wonderful kids and I live in the GTA. My 3 year old son has food allergies and is allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts eggs and dairy. I also have an 8 month old daughter and we do not know yet if she has any allergies. My son was diagnosed at the very early age of 10 months after my husband accidentally touched his face after eating a peanut. We had him tested to confirm this allergy. At a year and a half we tried him with a small amount of dairy and he reacted within a minute and his whole little face was covered in hives. He tested positive on a scratch test for eggs and treenuts but has never had them.
I still struggle between anger and sadness even though it has been two years and live in hope that he will out grow his allergies or that they find a cure. My son starts preschool on Monday and it will be the first time he has been away from a family caregiver. I am nervous but very excited for my son! The preschool seems excellent in how the manage allergies and I feel as comfortable about it as I can be:)
Reading through the forum I hear stories so similar to my own, it is great to know we are not alone!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hello mommy2! Glad you found us.
I hear you about the anger and sadness. It's ok to feel this way. Throughout your pregnancy and the early years, you probably had ideas of what motherhood and family life would be like. You are greiving the loss of that and learning a new reality. It is confusing, frustrating and downright scary at times. It's also creative, empowering and full of love and compasssion.

Good luck on Monday, I'll be thinking of you and your little guy! Keep the lines of communication open and trust your mommy instincts.

Life will get easier as, then harder, then easier...but that's what parenthood is like anyways.

Please don't read the negatives and think that's all there is! Sometimes we just need a place to vent!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 am 

Mommy2

Welcome to this forum. It is a most wonderful place full of great advice and warm support. No matter where allergies take you, life will get better and easier. If he doesn't grow out of his allergies, you will find great information here, and you will learn to cope with time. There is a chance too, that he will grow out of at least some. My 19 year old daughter was allergic to egg, milk and sesame seed as a baby, and grew out of all of them. To this day, she is my least allergic child now! Wishing you all the best, and remember, we're all here to help you on this journey.

Soccermom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 am 

Mommy2, Welcome!!!!

The grieving process is normal. I had a very difficult time 3 years ago (DS allergies also started as an infant at 6 months) but it really does get easier. DS's allergies are just a way of life for us now. That doesn't mean I don't still have bad days or burst into tears in the grocery store. It just happens less frequently and I know I have the support of this forum to fall back on.

DS starts Jr. K in September and I get how you are feeling. He's never been away from myself or my husband even once. Our school too seems exceptional regarding anaphylaxis, but it just seems different when the reality has finally hit he will be in someone else's care. Having new anxiety is (I hope) normal...that's what Susan told me when I called her in tears (ok hysterics) the week of school registration. :lol:

We are here for you and I'm so glad you found us. It is nice for all of us not to feel alone.

:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish