You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:42 pm 

Hi all,

My name's Annie and I've just had my third episode of allergy-induced shock. This time I ended up on a hospital bed with a heart monitor, oxygen and a morphine drip for the excrutiatingly painful pelvic cramps i get with this. I also get all the classic symptoms of itching, hives, swollen face, constricted airways etc. This time my face went blue and I'm really worried and depressed. I still don't know what is causing my allergy as I am waiting to be seen at the allergy clinic. Does anyone else have pelvic cramps when they react to an allergen? My attacks always start with tingling/dryness in the throat so could it be something I breathe in? Each attack is getting ten times worse than the last. I'm so frightened of what the next one will feel like and whether I will survive.

A healthy New year to all.

Annie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:00 pm 

That is just terrifying--I hope you can isolate what the problem is soon. If you think you could be reacting to something you are eating, have you thought of going on a few foods diet? the idea is that you go off most foods for a period of time then carefully add everything else back in one by one. but this type of diet should probably be supervised by an allergist/nutritionist. or you could do it on your own with a good resource. You might find the book _Dealing with Food Allergies: A Practical Guide to Detecting Culprit Foods and Eating a Healthy, Enjoyable Diet_ (by Janice Vickerstaff Joneja) useful.

Most of my reactions to food usually begin with tingling in the throat as well. Sometimes I also feel sick to my stomach/start vomiting, but I've only gone into shock once...and have taken an epi a couple of times (which would have stopped the reaction if in fact the reaction was going to be severe). I've had severe stomach cramps once--in 1985, the last time I ate egg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Annie,

Sorry you've had such an awful experience. Lisa is right that you may need an elimination diet to narrow down the problem. But first, you really need to get yourself to an allergist for testing! You say you're waiting on an allergy clinic. If you are in a big city, after such a reaction almost any allergist should take you in on an emergency basis.

E-mail me (see the icon below) if you're having trouble getting an appointment. If I don't know of an allergist in your area, either Anaphylaxis Canada or the AAIA (Allergy/Asthma Information Assn.) will be able to help you. I'll put you in touch.

Back to your original question - yes, I've had severe abdominal cramps in two anaphylactic attacks (along with other symptoms). The first - shellfish was the culprit - was the worst. It felt like I was being punched in the gut repeatedly. I've also been where you are as I developed an allergy to soy as an adult and either an intolerance or allergy (I haven't been back for more testing to figure out) to alcohol or one of its components.

Under the care of a good allergist, we eliminated both from my diet and I have had only a few minor brushes (knock on wood) for the past year. Hang in there, Annie, don't let it get to you. Rather get some qualified professional help and figure it out. I'm back to feeling healthy and to enjoying my food. For a while, I never thought I would again.