You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:33 pm 

I everyone!
I have been lurking around this site for a few weeks reading posts and laughing (out of frustration at times) at some of the posts.
My Story
I have had allergies for as long as I can remember. As a child I was allergic to wheat, milk/dairy product, corn, egg, chicken, dust, dust mites, mold, cats, dogs, trees, weeds, several different cleaning chemicals to the point that we cleaned the house with vinegar and water, scents (perfumes/colognes/air fresheners), and probably more that I can't think of at the moment. Around the age of 12 I went to an new allergist in Mississauga ON and he explained to me and my parents that I wasn't truly allergic bc none of my 'allergies' were lifethreatening and that he could help me outgrow them using a rotation diet and drops increasing in strength. I thought this was the best news in the world! :happydance I CAN EAT CHOCOLATE!!! :banana I started the rotation diet and drops under the tongue 2-3 times a day for about 5 yrs and gradually increase the amount of allergen I ate. I now consider myself to be sensitive to dairy products and can get away with eating one dairy product every 2-3 days and get away with it. I still get migraines if I am around anything scented and during seasonal allergies I still suffer a little but not like I used to. I say that doc is a genius :thanksign
Fast forward 5 more years and I am celebrating my 20th birthday with a friend with a chocolate brownie (one of my favs now that I can eat it) when I start having this funny feeling in my mouth and I break out in a rash on my arms. Since I am sensitive to body washes, hair products and other things I don't think anything of it until months later when I eat another brownie from the same restaurant. I start to think what is going on? :dungetit :confused I start putting 2 and 2 together and think NUTS! UHO :frightened This started a self diagnoses and I was successful at staying away from walnuts and peacans for a while. Christmas was always hard. I made the mistake of not letting my relatives know bc I didn't think it was a big deal. I hadn't had a severe reaction just a little uncomfortable and Benedryl always helped. But, recently things are getting worse. At first I could eat the products that said "may contain" or "may have come into contact with.." and not have any problems. Now for the past 3-4 months I have been reacting to those foods too and I started some more in depth research and have noticed that my symptoms are just the beginning of something very bad. The other day I ate some cookies (ones I have eaten for yrs and never had a problem with) and before finishing the 2nd cookie my mouth was sore, tingling, and my chest felt tight. I took the Benedryl and everything was fine. The next day I made an appointment to see my GP and got in for next Monday. I am hoping he will take me seriously and send me to an allergist since the one I used to see only treat sensitivities not severe allergies and wont touch me now :(
Anyway I am happy to find a place where people get it! I have always been the only one and I can remember people saying "her mom just wants the attention" when she would explain my diet restrictions to them. Sorry this was so long and I have to say I love the smilies :happydance

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! Glad you found us. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 am 

Good luck with your doctor's appointment. Do you carry an epi-pen? Asking that because unfortunately never know when the antihistamine won't be enough to stop the reaction.

The smilies are very nice :happydance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Nice to meet you, Sarah. :D