Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Overwhelmed!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 pm 

Hello!
I am new here. DH and I do not have allergies, but long story short, our 11 month old daughter has a TON.
We know she is allergic to salmon, banana and avocado, but has had skin tests and been + to wheat and peanuts.
Since her reaction to salmon (broke out in hives, threw up) she has been getting 1 or 2 random hives around her mouth or neck to foods she has been eating for months- rice, turkey... I am SO frustrated!!! I don't understand what this means and no one has answers! Help?!

Post subject: Re: Overwhelmed!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:45 am 

Hi Roxy04, Welcome!!!
our ds is also the only person in our family to have anaphylactic allergies. His started as an infant also so I understand how frustrating and scary it is trying to introduce new foods and pin point exactly what is causing the reaction.

As far as fish there is fish in many products which label omega 3, from orange juice to yogurt, margarine, granola bars, even some eggs specialty marked omega 3 have a fish source added. So just something to be aware of.

The turkey and rice, not sure there but is there any chance it could be a delayed reaction from having eaten on of her allergens earlier OR cross contamination from one of her allergens. We discovered this was an issue for us when we thought DS was starting to react to corn and it turned out to be cross contamination from our food processer. My best advice would be to keep a food diary, keep track of everything she eats so you can narrow down what is causing her reactions.

So glad you found us!! Mommies on this forum have been my lifeline for over 3 years now, talking to people who really understand has been great. Be sure to post if you need anything!!
:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am 

Thank you for your reply! The hives only last 15 mins, but always show up just afer eating. She could eat rice cereal one day and get hives and the next day eat it and have none. I can only think that her little system is overwhelmed an reacting to anything? I thought to start over again introducing foods, but how can I when everything is so inconsistent? Sorry..just really discouraged right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 am 

Hi! You are so in the right place. Welcome. You will find a lot of help here. Food diary :thumbsup and you guys have seen someone in the medical field :thumbsup You sound like you are doing what we all do when we learn something is up. :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, and sorry to hear you're in a rough spot right now.

Have you been able to get an appt with a ped. allergist in Vancouver?

I'd def. want a prof. opinion, since the fish certainly sounds like allergy. A lot of allergists will bump you up the list when there has been a reaction. And since you think your baby is still getting some minor symptoms...

Question - was she tested for cow's milk? Any chance that's an issue?

Quote:
I can only think that her little system is overwhelmed an reacting to anything?

This can happen. I had a big reaction to peanut & soy in a meal once and started getting hives and other mild symptoms to foods I wasn't even allergic too for over a week after. My dr. says the immune system can get out of whack following an allergic reaction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:09 pm 

We actually live in Prince George. I would LOVE to see a paed. allergist, but our paed. won't refer us?! He referred us to a allergist here who comes up from Vancouver. He was ok, but I know a paed. allergist would be much better.
Ithink she is ok with dairy. Yogurt and cheese were ok, but I haven't gone furthur than that. Her skin test and blood test came back negative for milk.
I guess we just start all over again. Its so hard when they can't talk!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm 

Ok, wait, I didn't like the allergist. He wasn't helpful. Hahah. At the time he was ok but sice then we've gotten more complicated. We do see him next week though.

Does anyone on here have delayed reactions? My daughter seems to have very mild symptoms (barey recognizable) andthen after 3-5 times eating he food, has a big reactions (hives, vommiting)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 am 

Roxy04, How is she doing? I agree, it is possible for their systems to start over reacting , it is like their body is on hyper drive.
DS. at one point was reacting with hives/rash to about 5 different veggies, many fruits and everything and anything it seemed we put on him or fed him. I didn't know what to do or what was a real allergy or just an overworking immune system.
So what our allergist had us do was to stop introducing all new foods. He said that our son's system was on over load between the ana. allergies and other mild reactions to foods he was starting to just react to everything. Our family Dr and our allergist both told me that it was more important to reduce his fear of eating as well as control his reactions (to the not ana. foods I mean) than to worry about a well balanced diet at this point. Almost like letting his little body take a breather..and my mommy stress level could go down as I was worried about his reactions as well as a balanced diet. So we took a step back and started from scratch.

We stuck to the same four foods he tolerated with no issue for literally months. Until he showed interest in new foods. Be sure to stick to the exact brand and variety, you know it's safe so why change anything was my theory. This allowed DS to relax (mentally and physically) as he was becoming very anxious and scared of food (screaming, crying, fighting the high chair ) and I was loosing my mind so it gave me a breather to know he would eat without having a reaction.

After a while we would try adding one new food, never one of the ones he had ever reacted to even mildly. This process we started when he was about 9 months old (1st ana reaction at 6 months..the next 3 months after was reaction after reaction (ana as well as more mild reactions).

This worked as by the time dS was 2 1/2 he could tolerate all of the foods (carrots, bananas, strawberries, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes etc...) he had had the mild reactions to. The foods he had reacted to we waited to introduce until he would ask to try, he'd sniff, lick, taste and I'd never push it unless he wanted to take a bite. Other foods he had never reacted to we would introduce one at a time, never more than one food at a time or you won't know what caused the reaction. And give about a week between new foods.

Hang in there, and if you need any specific toddler help post also in the parent of infants/todders thread or feel free to PM!

HUGS, you are doing great.!!! :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish