You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi everyone!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:10 am 

Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Jenna and I have 2 wonderful boys. My oldest (2) is allergy free, and my second (9 months) was just diagnosed with allergies to milk, peanuts, tree nuts and eggs. I'm so happy to have found this forum because I feel totally lost when it comes to what to feed him!

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:08 pm 

Jenna, very glad that you found our forum. There are incredibly supportive, knowledgeable, and funny people here who will help you out.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions - we have all had experience whether it be for our children or ourselves. I found it really helpful to read through other threads and to use the Search feature as well; plus of course asking many questions! Read at your pace because it can be overwhelming.

Please remember that allergies are manageable and as I have been told, allergic living becomes your family's new normal; not always easy but manageable.

This is a safe haven whether I am really happy or in need of a pity party. There will always be someone who understands. :huggy Other people may not get the little things that make us happy or sad.

Some of us really like to use emoticons too :happydance

Take care and welcome to the forum Jenna.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:42 pm 

Welcome Jenna. Glad you found this forum... there are some truly amazing people here with lots of great information and advice. We look forward to hearing more from you.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Jenna! My daughter has many of the same allergies as your son. What are you giving him for milk?

When it comes to foods, you can feed him rice noodles, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, barley...

Have you been seen by a dietician? You want to make sure that you are supplying him with enough fats, calcium etc especially during the first 2 years.

Lets hope he outgrows a couple of allergens.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am 

Thanks Susan for answering the "what to feed" quandary... knew someone more knowledgeable would answer that one :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Well, yeah....9 months old with severe milk allergy and soy intolerance...ugh!
We have others on the forum who avoided both milk and soy it's not easy. Here's hoping he'll out grow one of them soon.

Jenna, post your question on the Parenting: Infants, Toddler section. I'm sure you'll get some answers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:50 am 

Walooet
Quote:
This is a safe haven whether I am really happy or in need of a pity party. There will always be someone who understands. Other people may not get the little things that make us happy or sad.
:thumbsup

Welcome Jenna, I'm glad you found us! :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:50 pm 

Thanks ladies! I feel so welcomed and relieved to have somewhere to turn to.

There's so much info on here! I'm overloading! LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Welcome Jenna! My daughter has many of the same allergies as your son. What are you giving him for milk?

When it comes to foods, you can feed him rice noodles, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, barley...

Have you been seen by a dietician? You want to make sure that you are supplying him with enough fats, calcium etc especially during the first 2 years.

Lets hope he outgrows a couple of allergens.

We've been giving him Nutramigan. We saw an allergist at Sick Kids in Toronto, and they tested him twice for allergy to soy. Both times came out negative. When we tried a little soy formula, he projectile vomited. With a soy intolerance, I'm not sure what to give him when it comes time to give him milk.

We're looking for a dietician now. It seems no one wants to work with a child so you and with his allergies. We're still looking though. My husband wants to get a referral from our ped., but that always takes so long!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
How to Access the Services of an RD
Dietitians of Canada Listing
Find a dietitian in your area by consulting the Dietitians of Canada website at www.dietitians.ca/find

Eat Right Ontario “Ask a Dietitian”
This service provides a direct link to Registered Dietitians to answer your questions. Speak to a Registered Dietitian, toll-free in Ontario at
1-877-510-5102, 9am to 5pm ET Monday to Friday
Evening hours Tuesday and Thursday to 9 pm ET.

You can browse their website to find answers to your nutrition and healthy eating questions.
http://www.eatrightontario.ca

The CDO Register of Dietitians
The registrants listed in the Register of Dietitians are current members in good standing of the College of Dietitians of Ontario.

http://www.cdo.on.ca/en/public/how.asp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:07 am 

Susan I can't believe we haven't talked about this sooner. Great post re: dieticians Ontario. I called them years ago a few times and they are friendly and informative. Great service...for FREE!!!
Quote:
Eat Right Ontario “Ask a Dietitian”
This service provides a direct link to Registered Dietitians to answer your questions. Speak to a Registered Dietitian, toll-free in Ontario at
1-877-510-5102, 9am to 5pm ET Monday to Friday
Evening hours Tuesday and Thursday to 9 pm ET.
:thumbsup

Jenna, the amount of information on this forum is overwhelming, the best part it is WELL moderated (thank you Gwen/Susan) so you don't need to sort through fact, fiction, nonsense. Well sometimes we enjoy a teensy bit of nonsense. :rofl

You will find this is a one stop shop for just about everything you need, be sure to post in the different threads if you have an infant/toddler question, recipe hunt, product question, you need to vent or cry. Many of our kids ana allergies began when they were infants so we really do know how you feel right now and what you are going through. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Jenna, have you looked into elemental formulas? Basically, it is a milk based formula which has it's proteins broken down enough that the body doesn't recognize them as allergens. (think of a chain broken down into links)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Jenna, have you looked into elemental formulas? Basically, it is a milk based formula which has it's proteins broken down enough that the body doesn't recognize them as allergens. (think of a chain broken down into links).

Oh wait...maybe Nutramigen might be one of those. :roll: