You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:22 pm 

Hi :)

I'm so relieved to have found this forum as I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed dealing with my son's many food allergies.

My little guy is 13 months old and was diagnosed a few months ago with allergies to wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, barley, peanuts, many of the tree nuts, and mold. We also suspect allergies or at least sensitivities to chicken, navy beans, spinach and vanilla. The list always seems to be growing longer! He has eczema and is usually with a rash on his face so it is sometimes hard to tell whether he is having a mild reaction to something or not.

Because of all these allergies he has a very limited diet and on top of that seems to be entering the very picky eater stage now, so mealtimes are becoming very stressful (for me at least!). I am trying to relax and trust that he is eating enough but I really worry about him not getting enough vital nutrients, in particular, protein. He is no longer eating very much meat (I think he may have a problem with the texture) and because he is allergic to the other big protein sources (dairy, eggs, legumes...) I'm not sure what to do! It's hard to find food that's safe for him and that he will eat. For example, I have not yet been able to find a simple bread free of dairy, wheat, eggs, AND soy. I have tried many times to make my own and always failed! :?

I know we're not the only ones dealing with this (and that's a great comfort). Are there many others out there on this forum who are dealing with a similar bunch of allergies as my son? I'm really hoping to get some tips (and sharing any that I can) on what to feed my little man :)

Thanks, and again: YAY! So relieved to have found you all! :happydance
Dana.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:06 pm 

Welcome Dana :huggy

We aren't avoiding soy so as far as bread I don't have any great suggestions. I make almost all our own bread products which at first was a challenge but it does get easier and soon will just become second nature to do.
I am sorry about your little guy but know we all do understand exactly what you are going through. This is the best forum ever and I am so glad your found us. Be sure to post in the toddler section or recipes /shopping etc. if you have other specific issues.

Can't wait to get to know you better, I'm sure we will be chatting. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 am 

Hi BC2007!

Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestion about posting in the different sections. I'm looking forward to getting to know my way around this forum... I'm so excited that I found this online community! I already feel a little less panicky just knowing that you are all here :)

I will probably chase you up for some bread-making tips ;)

:huggy Looking forward to getting to know you!

Dana.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Hello danak!

Milk and soy are a tough combo. The egg allergy, I hardly find hard at all now. There are some great recipes in the recipe section. Check it out and post what you are looking for. We can reply with links.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:12 pm 

Hi Susan!

Thanks for the tip. I have just had a quick browse through some recipes and have bookmarked a couple to try with my son. I'm particularly excited about a meatloaf recipe that is free of all my son's allergens (well, not sure about onion yet, he has never had it, so we shall see about that one...)

At the moment I'm desperate to find recipes or tricks that will have my little man eating some meat. He has recently started refusing it and I'm so worried about the protein! He used to eat stew and mashed sweet potato with finely chopped meat mixed in, but not anymore. I tried making him some hamburger patties but he spits that right back out if I'm even lucky enough to get some in his mouth. I think he has a problem with the texture.

I should probably be writing this in the toddler or recipes board like BC2007 suggested ;) So I'll put a post up there, too.

Thanks, again! :)
Dana.