You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18 pm 

Hello. I feel overwhelmed and alone as I have never heard of anything like what I am going through before. I do not know where to turn or what to do. I have been struggling to stay alive since the begining of December with severe breathing problems and coughing fits that act like anaphalaxis attacks. I am an asthmatic and have been since born.This is different and my doctor thinks it's allergies. The food allergies seem to be to all foods. I have gone off all foods and starved, then introduced them one at a time....and then ... just when I think i am figuring it all out, i end up in the long run allergic to everything!!! and unable to eat anything. All things not food also act me up. It started out with a heart murmur years ago from foods and inhaled asthma steroids. I recently went off the inhaled asthma steroid and got better from the heart problems...then these coughing choking attacks came on so suddenly out of the blue and ventolin and all asthma meds made it worse. I had a metalic taste in my mouth and mucus in my throat I would almost be near death and felt like i was drowning in my lungs. confused it would happen in a matter of minutes it felt like. I was also moving into a new house. Boxes aggrivated it. Only Benydryl helped and then nothing after time. I was sure i would die and my doctor had strange requests from me and little help or understanding. My pulminary test came out normal which is impossible! I went back on the Qvar ( inhaled steriod) I got better and was eating everything again and now it is all back again. All my breathing problems and I am near to having these coughing fits and I can not get much air in when i breath.It feels like breathing through a straw. There is so much more to tell for you all to understand perhaps. I do not know what to do and or what is happening to me. I am scared. I have had some horrible asthma attacks in my life. I spent my childhood half living in the hospital. This feels so different. I am hardly breathing as I write so a lot of info is left out and i do not care about spelling. I hope someone can relate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:16 am 

So sorry to hear all you are going through.

When you reintroduced food, was it processed foods, or did you stick with foods you prepare yourself? An allerfy to an ingredient can pop up in anything pre-packaged, and it may not be listed. Words like flavour, or spice, can be anything.

I was reacting daily because I was not aware food I was eating was being prepared with one of my allergens and didn't have a "may contain" warning. Even those trace amounts were causing serious reactions.

Is the doctor you are seeing an allergist?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

You need to get to an allergist urgently for testing.

Insist that your doc help you make an appt ASAP. If it's allergy, the inflammation could come and go, which might explain the pulmonary test results. You need the skin prick testing to know: is it dust from the boxes that triggers your asthma to this degree? Is it a particular food?

What you're going through requires answers. If you don't feel well enough to do the insisting on your own, take a healthy relative along.

:huggy to you. And hang in there; allergy triggers aren't always immediately evident, but once you get to the source - the trigger or triggers, you will feel so much better again.

Keep us posted!