You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sesame allergy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 pm 

I am new to allergies. I never had any until I had my son. Now I have a child with a treenut and a sesame allergy. I am ok with the treenut as his allergy is specific to cashews and we haven't had much trouble avoiding them because it is well marked. Our challenge comes with his latest diagnosis....allergic to sesame. His reactions were pretty severe and it scares me that it is not well marked in the USA. In fact, I have recently learned that it can be hidden under headings such as natural flavor and spices. Well, those two things are on almost everything you buy. Seems that every restaurant serves sesame items as well, so it is nearly impossible to find a good place to eat out and it scares me to feed him on a daily basis. I am hoping someone can help me to find "safe" restaurants, food products, etc. or at least give me tips or reassure me that it is "not that bad". Our first reaction was to candy corn which apparently is made with sesame oil. We then had a cross contaimination at a continental breakfast at a hotel ( we think sesame bagel contact with doughnut) and a cross contamination with someone eating a Keebler sesame cracker and touching his utensils. Any ideas? Brands? Breads? Snacks? Restaurants and foods? right now he eats Stroehmann wheat bread, perdue chicken nuggets, Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Ritz crackers, Keebler Club crackers, Cheez Its and Goldfish. Any other brands or foods "safe"?

Post subject: Re: Sesame allergy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 am 

Hello Wendyh, So sorry your son is dealing with food allergies, but glad you found this forum. It is SO helpful! Our son has multiple food allergies, including sesame, which, I'm sorry to say, has proven to be quite challenging. We live in Canada, so I can't provide much help in terms of U.S. foods. In Canada, sesame is considered a priority allergen, so must appear on the label. Over the years, (we've been dealing with sesame allergy for 10 years now, as our son just turned 11) we have found many food items that are safe - including some that you've already discovered! (Ritz, Oreos, Goldfish). The biggest challenge we've found is breads, but we've been able to find safe pitas and tortillas, and one safe bread (Dimpflimeir rye bread). Do you have Dempsters/Canada Bread? I'm guessing, probably not. But if so, the Dempsters Bagel Thins are safe, but all other bagels are not safe. To overcome this, we (and many others dealing with sesame allergy) make our own bread using a breadmaker. That might sound daunting hearing it this way, but we've worked it into our lifestyle now, so it really doesn't seem like a big deal (but in the beginning, it seemed quite daunting to me!) We have the Black and Decker 3 lb breadmaker, and it's been the best having a 3 lb loaf! When the loaf is finished baking, we slice it into 3, and freeze any portions we don't need right away. We have the bread maker running every few days, and we've just incorporated it into our daily lives. We also make dough for pizza, buns, dessert breads (cinnamon buns), and that sort of thing. Do you have Pillsbury products in the U.S.? Many of those are safe. We can also buy puff pastry that is safe (we buy President's Choice, which is a Loblaw product - I don't think that's available to you, but I'm sure there's something similar).

In the U.S., you could consider contacting FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network) for further guidance in dealing with food allergies - specifically sesame. I believe they are pursuing having sesame included as one of the top food allergens, and there is recognition that sesame is a growing allergy.

Also, just wanted to make sure that you are aware that hummus has sesame paste (tahini) in it (major ingredient!), so do not let your son eat hummus.

Best of luck. The first year is the hardest as you adjust to this new lifestyle. Make sure you always have an Epipen nearby! It is a life-saving device that is truly a miracle. Our son has required it 3 times, and it offered relief within minutes as we made our way to the hospital for observation. Don't be afraid to use it if you have to - it does not hurt very much (according to our son) and leaves barely a mark, and it will save a life!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject: Re: Sesame allergy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Welcome WendyH,

Yes, sesame is not an easy one.

You'll see that we have a whole section on sesame and seed allergies if you scroll down the forum. You'll probably find some useful ideas.

I recommend this article on managing sesame: http://allergicliving.com/?p=4722

And the magazine's editors have created a section on sesame/seed allergies here: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/cat ... her-seeds/

And as Julie says, a bread maker can be a great investment – especially when dealing with both sesame and nut allergies.