You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Introduction!
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 pm 

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself--my name is Mel and I am in my early 30s living in the Bay Area. I've been trying to find more support groups that discuss more of the social impacts of having food allergies, and am looking forward to continued conversations with you all. If anyone knows of specific threads that may be of interest to me regarding the above, I'd be grateful you pointed me in that direction! Thanks to all!

Cheers,
M

Post subject: Re: Introduction!
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi DolceV,

Welcome!

Don't know your specific socializing with allergy interests, but this thread gets into dating, work life, etc.: viewforum.php?f=10

What's your hardest allergy to deal with?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 pm 

Hello my name is Suzanne and this is my first post. I am a new member. My husband Steve and I have two sons. Our oldest is 14 and our youngest is almost 7. Our youngest little boy, Devon has no allergies that we know of. Our oldest son, Jake developed allergies early on. He has allergies to nuts, peanuts, shell fish, fish,Crustaceans and concentrated egg but can eat eggs cooked in baking, and pineapple. He has an oral allergy to oranges. He had a milk allergy but outgrew it somewhat. He still gets sick from too much dairy so it is more of an intolerance. We have been giving him soya milk and a little cheese and yoghurt. In 2011 at the age of 12 we noticed that he was loosing weight and having severe headaches and blurred vision. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is now doing well on his insulin pump. Our life I guess is about avoiding allergens and also about counting carbohydrates and weighing food, so that we can calculate how much insulin he needs everyday. Sometimes it is hard because if he gets too much insulin or exercises without reducing his insulin he gets low and shaky. It can be really hard to watch. Nice to meet you all and know that there are others out there with allergies and or children with them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! That's a lot Suzanne. I remember one of the Jonas brothers has an insulin pump.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:50 pm 

Hi Susan: Actress, Halle Barry also has type 1 diabetes, some claim she is cured but there isn't a cure. George Canyon, a Canadian country Western musician and former Canadian Olympic rower Chris Jarvis also has diabetes. He is a good friend of ours now and we have gone to some of his events that he plans for diabetics and their families. Jake is doing well. He had a very scary incident last fall. He is venturing out on his own a bit, eating with friends. He went to a pot luck at our church and the coordinator forgot to put please no nuts on the invitations that went out. Someone brought a cupcake with what looked to Jake like Halloween smarties on top but they were peanut butter reeces pieces and he knew immediately. We were so proud of him that he gave himself the epipen and then took the benedryll that he always carries. We rushed him to the hospital and he was already starting to feel the swelling in his throat and hives. He is getting so independent and sometimes as a mom it is hard to think that he could be in university or college someday far away. Our greatest obsticle now is encouraging him to try to cook. He likes having a mommy!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:23 pm 

Hi Suzanne,

I know this is not your thread, but I wanted to say welcome! I am fairly new here as well.

I have had food (and other) allergies and Type 1 diabetes since I was a kid. I've been using an insulin pump for the past six years and love it! I would never go back to injections. I do seem to have allergy problems with the infusion sets (they get very itchy and red, sometimes even have hives, after just a day and stay that way for a day or two after removal), but my doctor and I are trying to sort that out. The pump has really helped improve my life.

And yes, I love having to check the ingredients label AND the nutrition label (or food scale) on every food item I eat. The only upside is that we are VERY aware of what we are putting in our body!

Asthma; mild eczema; Type 1 diabetes

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am 

Hi There Kindle: Jake stated on the omnipod pump last July. He loves it to. You are right it is so much better then injecting. Sorry if I took someone's thread. I am not very good at computers. I just noticed it said introduction so I amended it. Maybe someday I will understand the whole talking on forums thing. It does make a person so aware of what they are eating. Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Suzanne, you can look under the Board Index for forum. About specific issues or you can enter key words in the forum search. If you want to start a conversation (thread), go to the appropriate forum and just above the red line, on the left hand side there is a button "new topic". Click this to open the dialogue box. If you get stuck or are not sure how to edit something, send me a pm (private message).
If you can't find what your looking for, pose a question. Some of us are brand new to allergies and some of us have been dealing with fa for decades.
Susan

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb