You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Strange Symptoms
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:59 pm 

Hi everyone! I new, just found this site....

I have had allergies all my life - enviormental....dust mites, mold, grasses, trees, horses, cats etc... I had never thought that they impacted my life until now. When I was in high school my mom insisted that I be tested and I was and found to be highly allergic to all the above mentioned things and I started on allergy shots and was given a laundry list of things to aviod by my dr - I thought it was all a bunch of junk...I didn't feel bad so why should I change what I'm doing? I continued on the allergy shots until I was in college and then it got to be too complicated to get the shots so I stopped.

Now I'm 30 and have started having new problems associated with my allergies - I got 3 sinus infection between Oct and Jan and that when my dr sent me to an ENT. He did testing and confirmed that I have "serious indoor allergies" - I just started shots last week and I'm on Claritin and Nasonex. (I live in the US - Virginia)

Before I started the Claritin my main symptom was more emotional than phyisical - it was like PMS all the time. Not exactly depression but definitly tettering on the edge of it. Crying over little things,overracting to stuff, just generally not being able to cope with life. When I started the Claritin it went away! Then I had to go off the Claritin for the allergy tests and it came back - with a vengence. When I started taking the Claritin again after the test it got better almost immediately. Then Friday (2 + weeks on the Claritin) I was cleaning out something that had a lot of mold in it and a few hours later nearly broke down in tears over nothing. Seems like quite a strong reaction to allergies, but it def appears connected.... I have scoured the internet trying to find information that might link the allergies with an emotional response....has anyone here experienced anything similar? Anyone have any idea why this might happen?

Thanks so much! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:57 pm 

I also have a lot of environmental allergies---when it comes to environmental allergies, my allergist simply says that I'm "allergic to everything." I also believe that I have mild chemical sensitivities---if I take too long deciding what to buy I don't do well in large department stores, especially not in the shoe section. (I used to think it was the flourescent lights, but now I'm pretty sure it is the dyes in all the clothes.) I used to feel like I had a hangover the morning after cleaning the bathroom--now I use "natural" cleaning products.

I've wondered as well whether allergies can make one more "sensitive" emotionally. I tend to be 'overly sensitive' and to get upset about things. Sometimes I deal with this by performing a parody of the way that I actually feel---I *way* overreact for comic effect. (only with family members and close friends--I try to be a bit more stoic in other contexts :lol: )

I do feel like allergies make me kind of tired....and I feel kind of "out of it" sometimes--like paying attention is a bit of an effort. It's hard to say whether this is allergies or whether it's just me....or maybe a non-verbal learning disability or something of the sort (I have *major* problems with a sense of direction as well--I'm usually better off if I confidently head off in the direction I think I'm *not* supposed to go)--I've been like that since I was a kid (both with the directional problems and the difficulty with paying attention). I think I take after my father in this regard (but he has environmental allergies too).

This past summer I was quite miserable with all the smog and heat (no airconditioning)--I'd have to say that the allergies contributed to me feeling kind of down---I felt like my life was totally out of control (this is when I started Pilates). I didn't get nearly as much done in the summer as I needed to workwise which added to the stress, but it was hard to think straight when it was so hot and polluted and I wasn't sleeping very well.

I have noticed a big difference since the summer, though---I don't know whether it has been the changes to my diet (I discovered new allergies + I think my diet is now super healthy) or because I'm exercising more or what, but I feel more alert more often. People in my family have noticed a difference--I'm a better listener. As well, a number of people I see infrequently have mentioned that I'm looking good----and they sometimes sound slightly surprised. A close family member has said that I have more colour--my complexion doesn't look as "pasty" (only close family members can get away with compliments like that!) I'm making more of a conscious effort to be less stressed too--stress can definitely affect allergies and the immune system.

So none of this actually answers your question directly---but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some cognitive/emotional...I don't know what to call them...I don't want to say 'problems' exactly...let's just say "states".... associated with allergies (but I am *not* suggesting that I think that all people with allergies would be affected in the same way.)