Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: new to this forum
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:46 pm 

Hi,

I'm new here and am not really sure where I belong - or if I belong here at all. I realize that this forum is designed for IgE mediated (anaphylaxis) allergies, but I've never seen any place for severe non-IgE allergies. Apparently, they are rare.

My 6 year old son is allergic to gluten (we haven't been able to test for celiac because he has never been able to eat it directly- he reacted severely to it through my breastmilk from birth.) He is also allergic to rice. His reaction to cross-contact-even just a crumb- is mucousy, intestinal bleeding, and lots of it.

At his previous school, I worked closely with parents of kids with nut/peanut/seed allergies (including contact anaphylaxis) to make sure that food events and lunches were safe for all of our kids and he only had 2 reactions all year. This year at his new school, I was blindsided the week before school started with an inconsistent policy that we are having difficulty with and no one seems interested in discussing with me ways to allow my son to have the food that is safest for him to eat.

I have an appointment with his allergist to discuss options at the end of the month, but in the meantime I'm just feeling very lost.

Looking for my,
HappyPlace

Post subject: Re: new to this forum
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Oh... that's just so sad.

Of course you belong here! :huggy

If you have a child who has severe reactions to foods, environmental triggers or medications, we are glad to have you in our community.

Has it been diagnosed as FPIES?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb