You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello from California
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:01 am 

I recently found this site and love how you address so many different allergies. I'm not sure where to post my questions! Hope my intro isn't too long!?!

My 3 yr. old son was diagnosed with food allergies when he was almost 6 months old. He is allergic to milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts, and latex. I have 2 older daughters, 10 and 8, with no food allergies.

Instead of getting a sunburn with too much sun exposure, he gets a terribly itchy rash that lasts for about 5 days. When I asked the doctor about this rash, she called him "photosensitive." I went home, googled "photosensitive" and my jaw dropped when it said it meant an allergy to the sun. I already felt like he was allergic to just about everything, and now we add the sun!?!

He is also developing more environmental allergies. He tested positive for dust, grass, and cats. He is one itchy 3 yr. old! I know he is allergic to certain trees, but have not figured out which ones yet. Does it really matter at this point? I am going to a new allergist soon and will insist on testing for more food allergies. I am pretty certain he is allergic to more foods, but the last allergist would not test for any more.

I'm gearing up for the start of preschool in September. I've been riding along this allergy roller coaster pretty smoothly, but now I see this big drop-off called preschoool. Ahh!

I look forward to sharing information and experiences with everyone here.

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 am 

Welcome anne. I hope you can find some answers here. Post your questions anywhere you think it fits and someone will answer. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:31 pm 

Welcome Anne. My daughters are almost 5 and allergic to peanuts/nuts, and 3 and allergic to milk, eggs, chicken, playdoh ( chemical allergy to unknown chemical ), cats, dogs, and probably grass, trees, pollens, dust yet to be diagnosed and strictly avoiding all nuts...pretty sure she has an almond allergy (thanks a lot "dove" baby wash) They are both stricltly avoiding all fish and shellfish. They also both have cold urticaria wihich is unfortunately allergy to the cold. Ironic isn't it. I live in saskatchewan and have kids with allergies to the cold, you live in california and have allergies to the sun. My girls hate to play outside in the winter because if snow touches their skin, they get hives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm 

Welcome from me too, Anne. We have a very helpful group of people here so I'm glad you've found us.

If you go to Resources you will see things of interest that might help out right away.

My expertise is more with foods, so I will try to be helpful in that arena. My two boys have multiple food allergies (and one has asthma) and we've been dealing with that for 5+ years now. Their story is at http://www.epi-man.com if you want to read about it.

Take care!

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:24 pm 

Hi, I have multiple food allergies as well---actually, I'm allergic to all the same foods that your son is + I have environmental allergies (although I don't have to deal with a latex allergy or photosensitivity). That's quite a lot to deal with---the photosensitivity would be really tough especially in sunny CA. Good luck with the new allergist! Lisa