You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergic to Everything?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:08 pm 

I went to get my annula allergy tests results this morning and it turns out I am allergic to everything except nuts. Now I have to have the skin prick tests. This sucks. I was only allergic to milk and eggs, then started developing new food allergy symptoms. Now it turns out I am allergic to almost everything?!?! What gives? I started crying on my way home. It sucks living like this.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:22 pm 

Shai

So sorry. :( I am in the same boat. After many years with "IBS??", I was diagnosed with allergic gastroenteritis at age 30. I was allergic to just about everything but wheat, lamb and potatoes! My allergist put me on an elimination diet for several years. He explained that some things on the Skin Prick Testing may be "true allergens"; some may be cross-reacting. After about 5 years, I was able to tolerate beef, turkey, rice and corn. (I am still allergic to seafood and eggs...now anaphylactic, whereas before I had only GI symptoms to these also.)

Following the birth of my daughter, I began to react to allergy shots and seafood. (I am still allergic to seafood and eggs...now anaphylactic, whereas before I had only GI symptoms to these also.) After a hospitalization for environmental allergies, I was only heavy doses of steroids. Now I also react to sulfites and yellow dye. Sometimes it's like, "What next?" An older allergy nurse told me she had noticed that many women have allergy changes when they experience a hormone change. This sounds like what has happened to me. Hopefully, as I am starting to have a few hot flashes, I am on my last hormone shift. (I am 42.) My last RAST also added almonds, ginger and rye. My allergist suggested I avoid these, especially the almonds and tree nuts.

Know just how you feel. Have had several good cries on the way home from the Allergist. It is a pain to deal with! But, all in all, it's so much better than diabetes,high blood pressure or some diseases. I wish there was a "pill" we could take, but pills have side effects, too. So for now, we just avoid many of the foods we crave. Consider it creative eating! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:07 pm 

Thanks for your reply Daisy. I hate to say it, but misery does love company! It's just good to know there are others like me and we are not freaks. Though people sometimes make me feel like a freak just with the eggs and milk allergies. Now I am even allergic to oats! Corn! Wheat! And many many other things, according to the latest RAST and food allergy panel. They are hoping to narrow it down with a skin prick test. At this point the doctor hates to see me avoid all the things my blood reacted to. I can't live on just nuts. And eating those all the time would probably make me develope an allergy to that too! I have anaphelectic ractions to milk and bad gastro symptoms with eggs. The stoamch cramps from allergies are worse then labor contractions for me!

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:55 pm 

Shai - I was at a conference at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto on Friday and Dr. Peter Vadas explained to us that the skin prick tests are much more reliable than the RAST tests (which was news to me - I hadn't personally realized this). Was it the RAST tests that gave the initial indication of all the new allergies?

Perhaps the SPTs will help reduce the list for you. I will try to look over my notes to see if I can come up with more specific info in the next day or so.

Just trying to throw out a glimmer of hope...!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:54 pm 

Thanks for the hope Karen! You are probably right. I know I have a few new allergies by my new symptoms, but I really don't feel like I am allergic to EVERYthing but nuts. I found it weird that I would test positive to so much stuff but not to nuts. It's just strange! You would think if it was a fluke I would just test positive to everything, not everything except nuts. Very weird.