You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 pm 

This is not directly at the workplace but it's work related for me since I take the public train every morning to get to work and every night to get back home.

I needed to vent on something that is ticking me off lately: people eating on the train, more specifically, people eating peanuts or peanut butter candy bar or sandwiches or any other allergens, but since I'm allergic to peanuts, that's the one bugging me and getting on my nerve.

On the train, not everyone gets a seat. I go from downtown Montreal to the terminus so in the morning, I'm guaranteed a seat, but at night, I have to get there early enough (trains are 20 minutes apart) to get a seat. 10 minutes before the train leave at rush hour and you are standing up.

Lately, it seems I has happened to me often that I sit down and later, someone sits down across from me or next to me and pulls out some food containing peanuts or peanut butter and since the smells really bothers me and gives me trouble breathing, I just get up and leave to move to another car, but I end up beeing forced to stand up because there are no more seats available.

So all this little rant to say that I think people should be forbidden to eat in public transportation. With all the awareness, people should knoe better and be more careful, especially if you are eating something in the top 8 allergens which can incomodate another passenger.

There, I'm done. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Have you brought contacted the bus company?
Ottawa's transit has a mission statement:
Quote:
To provide a quality transit service which is reliable, accessible, cost effective, safe, courteous and offers residents a high level of mobility

You could probably argue that passengers eating foods with peanuts in them creates an environment that is not safe and therefore not accessible for you.
I don't know if you can get them to create a peanut ban or if they would enforce it.
Some transit companies forbid eating or drinking on the bus at all.
Have you contacted customer service?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:39 am 

I was thinking about this a few days ago. Very different, as there was no risk of reaction for me -- I was just jealous because I couldn't have those delicious looking cupcakes that I used to love. :oops:

Anyway, I don't often ride public transit, but on that day I travelled about 30 minutes to and then back from a doctor's office. During that time (without actually looking for food) I saw people eating: cupcakes, chips, pop, coffee (leaning over me with a cup), bags of candy, a few chocolate bars....

I know Toronto's transit system used to have a rule that food was not allowed. The concern wasn't allergies, but rodents and roaches. I'm not sure whether it was a temporary rule, or a permanent one that just isn't enforced. (Currently they are more concerned about weapons.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:09 pm 

i have to admit i am one of those people who munch on the bus, that being said i think the reason there is no rule is that it cannot be enforced, the rules already in place cannot be enforced in a crowded bus, i have seen countless times people spraying perfume when there are signs forbbidding it, and i have had to pitch a fit at a bus driver because some chick at the back of the bus opened the window and began to SMOKE out of the window!!! i was so mad we have very strict smoking by-laws in ottawa, and yeah the girl got in trouble but if i hadn't said anyting the driver wouldn't have known

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:48 pm 

Like AnnaMarie, I haven't had a problem on public transit . .. although there have been times when I have been inwardly wincing. i.e. one time someone spilled what looked like an entire package of peanuts on the floor! I was carrying all my stuff in a box on wheels . . .I really tried to avoid running over peanuts which were pretty much everywhere, but I couldn't go to the other end of the car and exit there because it was so crowded.

It is a difficult issue . . . it might be worth raising the issue with public transit. But the problem is that a lot of people . . .including doctors . . . don't believe that people can have a reaction just by sitting next to someone eating peanuts. I do believe it since I've seen it happen . . .

dustytiger, I can't believe that people would actually spray perfume on a bus! That's really inconsiderate. Smoking on the bus, of course, is just wrong.