You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:15 pm 

I work in a school, and in the last week we have had two field trip situations where we were going somewhere close enough to walk, and where we would only be gone for an hour or two. Most of the other adults chose to leave their bags at school, but I brought mine with me because I keep all my allergy stuff in there, and you never know: I have only ever had a handful of serious reactions but all were within half an hour of eating. More than that, I do often need the asthma inhaler when out. I had at least three times this week where we were leavign to go on these trips, and people told me I should leave my bag, or asked me why I was bringing it. One of them was the senior teacher in my class, and when I said I was bringing my allergy stuff, he gave me a funny look and told me it was my problem if I got stuck carrying it around with me all afternoon (which is sort of the point of bringing it, but whatever). Another time, it was one of the language teachers and when I answered in a similar fashion, she laughed and said she is supposed to carry something for a bee sting allergy and she never brings it with her and she made a joke that she would 'borrow' mine if she had to.

I know that there are times when people do need to know exactly what the allergy problems are e.g. with anaphylaxis issues, or in situations where one might be exposed to something problematic. I did say something during orientation at the beginning of the year about carrying an epi-pen. But it's embarassing to have to go into a whole big thing about it, and how to explain it without seeming like a hypochondriac. I don't need the school to 'protect' me like they would a child with an allergy, mine is quite easy for me to manage myself, and I feel like the only really pertinent information for people to know is just that I have allergies, am generally fine and carry medication for them.

How do you handle things like the sceptical looks, or having to carry a bag when nobody else is, or having to explain it without coming across the wrong way? I guess I find it hard to balance being discreet with giving the minimum information.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:35 pm 

I used to always put everything in a fanny pack. However, I don't really like wearing one anymore. Now I carry two epi-pens in a carrier designed for them, and clip on a tiny little bottle with a few benedryl in it.

Funny looks don't usually bother me. Also, I always wear this - so people would notice if it was missing. :lol:

Personally, I'd have a problem with someone saying they'd just use mine in an emergency. Why should I be stuck without until I can get to a pharmacy. I really don't think I could ignore an ignorant comment like that. (just me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:38 pm 

i've found with my less severe allergies that less information in the workplace ends badly cause you end up with people who simply don't listen, i had a red flag moment where i realised that i should be vocal because i ended up having to leave to work early or end up in the hospital with an asthma attack, but it's a different situation entirely, and it's a matter of personal choice

as for you not leaving your bag, you can always just say you're just one of those people who needs to be prepared, you don't even have to mention anything about your own allergies. i have a very dear friend who simply clutches onto her purse like linus with his blue blanket, you could always just use that kind of excuse for carrying your bag around rather then making a big deal over your allergies.

Last edited by dustytiger on Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

I would simply ask if it is going to be a problem if you bring it. Place the burden to explain back onto the other person since they brought it up.
Like the previous poster said you can always follow up with you like to be prepared.
Life threatening allergies are the one exception I have to privacy of health issues. It appears to be in ones best interest to inform those whom you may need to respond in an emergency, but really, it is no one's business but your own.
I suspect their attempt to down play it is as a result of their embarassment once they realise that it really is none of thier business.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 pm 

I find that to. As soon as someone finds out i have allergies they freak out. I feel so bad. I find if they are discussing it while i'm on the computer or doing something else i will keep my attention to what i am doing while i answer their questions. This way it comes across to the other person that i don't consider it a major concern and they inturn won't blow it up. I also find if i assure them that i won't die that helps to.

I carry pills that i might need in a little case on my key chain. Everyone carries keys around :) I also carry a purse so my epipen could go in there. All girls carry purses so no one looks the other way. Don't know why guys do....get a girlfriend and make her carry it?