You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dating horror stories
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:45 am 

Okay, spill. What's the worst allergy-related-date-mishap you've had? How did you recover? Did you ever see him/her again?

Post subject: My doctor laughed
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:46 am 

I was newly married and going out to the store. Being so young and in love I wanted a good kiss before leaving. Dh would not kiss me though. I wore him down and he kissed my forehead. After more complaining, he kissed both my cheeks, then my chin. Finally he planted on on my nose. I gave up and went out to buy groceries.
As I stepped into the store I knew something was wrong with my face. I went over to the produce section and checked my face in the mirror. Some man walked up behind me and told me it was caused by not enough of "you know what". I quipped that it just may have been too much.
I stopped at my doctor's office on the way home. He asked what happened and I simply told him that my husband kissed me. He had a hard time not laughing at that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:15 pm 

I was already married by the time I developed my allergies, so the only dating I did was with my husband.

We were trying to find a pattern to my reactions, and it was very confusing. We joked that maybe I was allergic to my husband, since getting close to him often resulted in me needing to take antihistamine. Well, our joking wasn't all that far off. I was allergic to his sweat. If he eats the foods I'm allergic to I have reactions. He sweats a lot - and I absorb it through my pores.

Now, when he goes away on business (for 3 or more days in a row) he has an affair with a bag of mixed nuts. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:07 pm 

My husband begs me to go on trips so he can have a affairs with chinese food and tofu.

And yes, soy transmits through his fluids, per se. Those are *not* fun allergic reactions, as they tend to occur at . . . tender moments, shall we say. ;)

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:59 am 

Hot damn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:51 pm 

Speaking of sexual activity and allergic reactions... I am just learning about living with food allergies, and can't find much info about ** - other than mouth to mouth kissing. What are the adverse reactions on genitals that can develop due to an allergic reaction from a partner's body fluids? Could it manifest as 'nonspecific vaginal infections' in females (odor and discharge develops after 1-2 days, treat with Canesten, wouldn't wait to see if it would just go away). The standard testing for STDs, chlamydia, candida, etc. all came back negative on both partners, yet the reactions could be replicated. (hey honey, let's try that again!) I made jokes that we were allergic to each other, but maybe it wasn't a joke after all. Frustrating because no one really knows what to do about it.
Someone suggested it was due to sublimated anger at the partner. Oh puh-leeze, say it ain't so, doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:33 am 

NHS, I have not had the specific symptoms you are asking about. My problem was usually my husband's sweat. I would break out in hives. Not just when we had ** either. He sweats a lot. I would absorb the sweat through my pores and have reactions to it.

I also had reactions to Monistat. (I still can't figure that one out because I spoke to someone else that has the same allergies I have and she never had a problem with it. I called the company and they said there was vegetable oil in it. This was more then 10 years ago - possibly they could now tell a person what kind of vegetable oil.)

Anyway, my reaction to that was hives. Only where the capsules touched. :roll: Terrible place to be so swollen. The next morning I was bruised, felt like I had been kicked repeatedly by someone wearing steel-toed boots.

I don't think there has been a lot of research done in this area. ;) When I first suggested to an allergist that I thought I was reacting to my husband's sweat - he told me I was nuts. :evil: My GP however, thought it made sense, but had never heard of it. He did a bit of digging, and found a bit of reference, but not much. (Again, this was about 10 years ago.)

Post subject: post subject
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:23 am 

Years ago when my Husband still ate peanut butter I would get a rash on my legs during the act. He stopped eatting it when I would not even kiss him and he was trying to brush his teeth and rinse his mouth so it would not bother me. He stopped eating it quite awhile ago.

Anna Marie I was given Monistat at one time back about 15 years ago and I put it in and I felt like a hot rod had burnned me. I did not get my regular Doctor at the Office visit, so this other Dr. gave me the prescription. Well the Other Doctor did not answer his page ( he was on call that night it) . So we called my regular Doctor she was so upset! I had to sit in tub with warm water and take some allergy meds and wait to see if it stopped burning. She was worried that the drive to the Hosp. would make it worse.
This worked and saw her first thing in the morning. I know it has nitrates and I am ana. to that. Monistat is even on my medic alert paper work the allergiest I had wanted me to that. She did up the paper work for me. I had already anaphylaxis to nitrates by this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:55 pm 

I've had severe reactions to my husband's semen. Without going into details, I've had my airways compromised, hives in areas I could not reach, and some rather difficult swelling.

He is soy-free out of interest in keeping me alive. If he eats other things I'm allergic to, we avoid certain activities.

I've also reacted to his skin secretions and saliva.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:48 am 

That's so intense. How tricky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:08 pm 

For me, touching and sexual expression is next to food for me to really thrive in a relationship. This discussion is helping me to get educated on that aspect of living as well. Thank you for shining some much needed light on mature 'allergic living'. I have some thinking to do. This may partly explain why i have have had so many so-called yeast infections that come up negative on standard lab tests. No doctor has ever been able to offer any preventative advice or guess at the cause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

If anybody has had reactions to proteins in a kiss, could you e-mail me with a para about? Send to editor@allergicliving.com

Use: Kiss Reaction as the subject line

We're preparing an article for an upcoming Allergic Living issue on "Dating with Allergies". It's OK if it was with a husband or wife, not a "date" as such. Issues would be the same.

We wouldn't use anybody's name without contacting you for permission. Thanks!