You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:12 pm 

At the land pavilion at EPCOT where the ride "Soarin" is, there is a cafeteria in the lower level. They had a small section called "Dietary Needs" or something similiar. I found Enjoy Life chocolate bars and cookies there, and Divvies Caramel Corn. I have not been able to have caramel corn in years, so I was quite excited. I didn't pay close attention, but I think they had some other gluten-free foods as well!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup Disney does try to make everything magical!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:04 pm 

I think we know that place. There is a really good couscous salad in that fridge. Dd got two the next time we were there and made me taste so I could try and make something like it here at home.

I LOVE DISNEY!!!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

We had dd's best meal ever at Portobello's on Disney's Boardwalk! She said, "I didn't know restaurants could be like this!". :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:44 pm 

Great news! We had success at the Sunshine Seasons Food Fair as well! Pop Century resort (hotel) had a fairly good allergy-friendly section in their food court as well. Disney knows how to make vacations magical! (And that's why we keep holidaying there year after year...)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am 

Oooh.....look what I found... http://www.diz-abled.com/Disney-Resourc ... Bakery.htm :happydance

We have so got to go again. Isn't there some conference there soon?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 pm 

Another good allergy website for Walt Disney World is Allergy Free Mouse - they have some good reviews and information about where to find allergy-friendly foods in the parks. (I don't know if I am allowed to post links to place like this, so you can Google it.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:20 pm 

spacecanada wrote:
Another good allergy website for Walt Disney World is Allergy Free Mouse - they have some good reviews and information about where to find allergy-friendly foods in the parks. (I don't know if I am allowed to post links to place like this, so you can Google it.)
That site was brought up a while ago over here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7077 :thumbsup and I do believe he (that mouse) is a member here as well! I love that mouse. :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

I google the grocery stores with a zipcode that coincides with the hotel to see what's out there. Then check the online flyers to see what brands they sell. Contact the stores to see if the items are safe for your allergies and you'll soon have a map or stores and shopping list of foods to purchase while on vacation.

Don't forget that you can order online items and have them shipped to your hotel. You can then bring them back duty free! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:36 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Don't forget that you can order online items and have them shipped to your hotel. You can then bring them back duty free! 8)

We do this with Divvies whenever we are on holidays in America, as the shipping is greatly reduced. And who doesn't want to have a huge supply of cookies whilst on holidays?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:33 am 

ALLERGY EATS
http://www.allergyeats.com/disney/

Allergy Eats has added a Disney/Disney Hotel section. :thumbsup I love this as it is first hand info FROM allergy parents.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:30 pm 

Anyone been to Pop Century lately? Just wondering what breakfast options there will be for my daughter who is milk/egg/peanut allergic. We want something pretty quick also so that we can be off early in the morning.

How does Disney handle condiments like ketchup (my daughter can't live without it) and margarine for buns/bread?

We are going in the new year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm 

We just got back from a 12 day trip there! We actually had a box of ds' cereal, and took down a tetra-pak of his soy milk to get us started (we were staying in an off-site condo so we had a full kitchen - but I think you can get a fridge in your room). We then found it in a grocery store nearby. We all ate breakfast "at home" before we left for the parks each day. We also bought some fresh fruit and a loaf of bread.

For his treats, we found that Babycakes (linked above) at Downtown Disney and stocked up on those chocolate chip cookies! He LOVED them! They are all gluten / egg / dairy free. Regarding nuts (which ds is also allergic to) they said that there are nuts processed in the facility, but they are very diligent about cross-contamination. Ds had several donuts from there, and lots of the chocolate chip cookies!

There were also several restaurants that were willing and happy to offer him anything on the menu, but he is still very fearful - and we didn't want to chance it so we took his lunch in ourselves every day. Only on the last day did he allow a lunch to happen -the manager is called, and a separate fryer was used for his dairy-free chicken fingers and fries. He was amazing, and said they could pretty much offer him anything on the menu but it would take longer because it would be prepared separately. He was so happy he wished that he had taken advantage of their offers earlier.

I highly recommend the Allergy Free Mouse website, and have an idea in mind for each restaurant if you have the meal plan. Like I said, he didn't want to chance it so we took in plenty of safe food for him and then we chose to eat at whichever counter-service restaurant was closest to us when we were hungry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:49 am 

Thanks for your response! I have checked out the allergy free mouse and it was very helpful. We are definitely going to check out Babycakes on our first night. We are eating in Downtown Disney on our first night. Our daughter is looking forward to trying out the restaurants. It will be good for her to practise ordering for herself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

These stories are so great to hear.
Bravo Disney!

You guys are making me crave a Fla visit. :abduct