You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Flying with my own food?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:25 pm 

When I fly to Orlando in June, I'm going on Alaska Airlines. They serve those stupid food boxes that they sell. It looks like going there I'm going to end up with an egg omlette (which I can't eat) and going home might be a cheeseburger (of which I can't eat either), this is according to their website. How hard is it these days to fly with your own food? I will not be able to have a cooler or a refrigerator at my disposal during the trip. I tried emailing TSA, but haven't recieved a response back and Alaska Airlines was about as much help as a zit on my face. Their customer service doesn't even know what food they serve on their flights! I know Sea-Tac airport well enough to know that there isn't going to be anything along the concourse that I can eat except for maybe being able to get maybe some soy milk at Starbucks. I will not be crossing any international borders (thank goodness!) I don't want to fill my carry on up only to have it taken away

Maybe I should open a chain of allergy free restaurants at airports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... ms.shtm#10
Check out the section on food. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:52 am 

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I emailed TSA to see if I would fit under the special medical needs category which I believe allows you to bring more stuff along. Hopefully I'll hear from them next week.

Wow, I guess I better fill up before I leave at 4 am for an 8:45 am flight. Only 3 oz of stuff? I have no idea where I could buy 3 oz of chocolate soy milk. Argh! I guess I'll have to stock up on something, Hopefully Wendy's will be serving hamburgers by then at the airport........ At least I can look forward to my personal video player at my seat and a non-stop flight to fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:42 am 

It's nice to know they give peanut butter a mention in the TSA link... nothing like encouraging people to bring peanut products on the plane. *sarcasm intended*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:34 pm 

Hi Honugirl,

You may have seen my message on the other thread but here goes anyways!!

When we travelled to Mexico or California I called the airlines as well as customs to make sure that a letter from our allergist would be sufficient to bring our own food aboard as well as in our luggage and the response from both was the same, YES!

We brought enough food for two full meals, sandwiches, snacks, a full box of cereal, a full liter of rice milk, fruits, veggies, our own juice etc... Once they saw our letter, they never checked the details of what we were bringing. We even had a bottle of water that we forgot to remove which they didn't confiscate. We had enough food for all of us, not just our allergic children!! The 3 oz rule no longer applies if you have special permission.

Certainly double check but I don't think it should be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:13 am 

Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting a note from my doctor.