Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Safe Travels
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:02 pm 

Hi all,
Prior to my diagnosis of ana to all nuts 1.5 yrs ago, I used to travel all over the continent.
Now I am nervous just flying from Vancouver to Toronto on a local airline!
I just had my RX from Epi-Pen to 2 Twin jets refilled. My GP asked me to give them to the airline staff upon boarding....uh-no!
I really miss travelling a dn feel like this is such a handicap! But, there are people all over the word with food allergies and worse and they manage to get around these issues. My DH has not travelled much and I thought it would be so wonderful if we could escape for a week.
So, i stopped at a local Flight Centre over the w/e and asked one fo the staffwhat her experiences have been with clients booking and requesting special meals at all inc resorts. She was honest and said that she only had once such scenario and called the hotel in Mexico to inform them. She then turned to her male colleague and asked him, and he gave some BS answer and from the tone of his voice, really did not seem interested in talking to me...so, we left feeling a little ( ok a lot) discouraged.
One thing the female travel consultant did say to me was , " Its not like people in Mexico dont have nut allergies, so, hotels know what not to put in food"...yeah, OK!
I did not like her answer!
Has anyone been to a vacation resort that they had a positive experience at that cn be recommended?
I know what the medical systems are like and it makes me a lot nervous knowing that should anything happen, I want to come back home alive and functioning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:15 pm 

Shairose - see http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1848 - in particular karendecoux's posts. She just got back from a great trip to the Dominican Republic.

There may be other positive posts in this forum as well.

K.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:21 am 

Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded! Including the emails and PM!!