You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:47 am 

Air Canada is becoming more and more sensitive to the needs of allergic passengers. My daughter just returned from Europe, making a total of five flights with Air Canada, and she was treated with the utmost care and concern. Initially, I spoke with a customer service rep who was very understanding and reassuring. She had DD's allergies and requirements all noted on each of the flight manifests, indicating what precautions DD would take, including pre-boarding to groom the area, etc., etc.
DD presented a copy of her anaphylaxis plan to the flight director (that's who you need to deal with) upon boarding and I believe this is a really important step. It makes the crew aware of the severity of your allergies and raises their level of concern. (the words "life threatening" and the photograph of the epi-pen makes an impact) Example, they provided her with free bottled water; asked frequently after her well-being; when they were offering fish sandwiches for sale they told her they would ask passengers within three rows surrounding her to refrain from eating them (cold tuna/salmon is no problem so DD said no, that was ok). They warned her on one flight that they were serving hot salmon in executive class - that wasn't a problem because she was seated quite far away from there. Also, the filtration systems on most of the planes is so much better than is generally believed. Check out their website. Fortunately, there were no nut/peanut eating passengers near her on any of the flights, (they do not restrict people from bringing them on), but I now believe they would take some action if you were seated near a nut/peanut eating individual. All in all, we were happy with the service and much relieved, because I had heard many bad reports about Air Canada and their attitude to allergies