You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Disneyworld
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:46 pm 

I know that this subject has been talked about previously, but we would like to go this summer and I wanted some suggestions of names of hotels where people stayed that they enjoyed or where to avoid (we are willing to stay both on or off the resort). I read the other suggestions about calling restaurants ahead of time (how far in advance did people call?) to let them know you are coming and so on...any other pointers would be greatly appreciated...also, how many epipens should I be bringing with us (this will be our first trip "with an allergy" :shock: and I am already nervous!)
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:56 pm 

We went to Disneyworld a year ago and stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club on International Drive. It was a beautiful hotel and we had a lovely 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen ($239 US/night). It has a pool and splashpad and small playground for the kids. We got a late checkout so we could eat lunch in our room on the last day before going to DisneyWorld. There are lots of condos with kitchens in florida if this one isn't available.

We ate meals in our room and only took snacks to Disney, but I have heard that Disney is pretty good about allergies if you reserve and tell them ahead of time, but I don't know how far you have to reserve ahead.

I actually found Disney disappointing for me and for small children (ours were 4 & 6). The line ups were bad and many of the rids they were too small for. The most fun thing turned out to be storytime with Belle and hanging out at the entrance and meeting the Disney characters and the hotel pool. i would skip the rides and lineups altogether. I think its better when the kids are a bit older and will enjoy the rides and go offseason when there is less crowds (we were there in march break). However, having said that, Disney is not really my style of vacation and I do know lots of people that love it.

We travel with at least 4 epi-pens, one of which is a twinject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:22 pm 

I know this reply is fairly late but hopefully it will help someone.

We go to Disney often and have stayed at almost all the resorts now. Our favourite ones are the DVC resorts (since we are DVC members and they have a full kitchen if you don't want to eat out) and the Delux resorts on site. Wilderness lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Beach Club. The Moderates are really nice too - my kids loved the pool at Coronado Springs and the Carriage rides at Port Orleans. I didn't feel comfortable at the value resorts but I also didn't care for them. It's a personal thing I'm sure.

My 7yo has anaphylactic allergies to Tree nuts and coconut and Disney has been amazing at accomodating us. If there isn't something on the menu or on the Buffet he can have then they will make him something else. We usually call a few days before going to the restaurants and often they've had a special desert for him after I've mentioned the deserts are the hardest to find for someone with Tree nut and coconut allergies. the Chef always comes out to talk to us and go over the menu/buffet line before we order/eat. We've been to most of the restaurants at disney too and have never had a bad experience!

We'll be going back again in a few weeks for our 3rd time since last October!