You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Well, we just got back from Alberta and had a great time! Today we're off to go camping.
Some quick notes on the trip:
1. If you plan to bring spices to save on what you have to purchase-label the containers
(sugar and salt look the same :roll: )
2. Dollar store rubber muffin cups pack well.
3. Menu planning involving as few foods as possible-I think this is an art.
4. Do not shop on an empty stomach.
5. Groceries were much cheaper in the bigger city than our destination, and the store was larger and offered more of the specialty items we needed.
6. Bringing the cell phone and shopping off peak hours allowed me to purchase foods with confidence.
7. Having my husband take our daughter on an important errand (pick up weding present and purchase dog toy) gave me the chance to focus my attention on reading the ingredients.
8. When paying the grocery bill, do not be shocked. Try to break it down the cost per person per day and you will realize that you are spending the same if not less than you would if you ate out restaurants. (Ours came to about $15.00 per person per day).
9. Travelling is a great way to force yourself to expand your safe list. We found many favourite products and brands but were had to adapt to what the stores offered.
10. Accomodations 2 blocks from the hospital gave peace of mind when trying new foods (just in case).

After all was said and done, we still had some anxiety in trying different foods but we had to realize that we had read the ingredients 3x, called to verify when not sure, had our cell phones charged, close proximity to hospital and last but most important we had our Epi-Pens on us at all times.
We had no trouble at the airport bringing either our Epi-Pen and medication as carry on or our food (dry mixes for muffins, biscuits and some spices).
We pre-boarded and wiped down the seats (nice that they were leather as they are easier to wipe clean than cloth-you should see how dirty the wet wipe was! :shock:

Banff is a beautiful town set in a spectacular park. Our daughter got really tired of hearing us remark on the scenary. I guess to a (almost) 6 year old a mountain is just a mountain. Well, at least she was impressed for the first hour.
The weather was good and the wedding was beautiful.

I'm glad we did this trip and I encourage others to break out of their comfort zone once in a while, too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:14 am 

Glad that you all had such a good time. I'm getting nostalgic about the days when I was a kid and could travel without worrying about packing and preparing food (because mom worried about it for me :) )

_Susan_ wrote:

1. If you plan to bring spices to save on what you have to purchase-label the containers
(sugar and salt look the same :roll: )

Is there a story behind that bit of advice? LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:32 pm 

I'm glad it went so well, Susan. I agree that travelling is a good way to push the envelope a bit.

The MEC has great little camping salt and pepper shakers and we have used them for spices. Just google "mec GSI Salt/Pepper Shaker" to find the details.

I use my label maker to label them. :)

Have fun camping!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Helen-Yes! I brought a homemade muffin mix, a Wacky Cake mix and a Tea Biscuit mix. I planned to just add the wet ingredients and bake at the hotel (kitchenette).

I did decided to purchase vanilla and vinegar (wacky cake called for it) rather than worry about bottles leaking in my suitcase. (I don't trust those packets of ketchup you find at restaurants because they are excempt from labelling and so didn't concider the vinegar packets.) I figured I would save a buck or two by bringing some salt (most recipes for high altitude cooking suggested salting the water), some sugar and cinnamon sugar mix.

I purchased some Pillsbury crescent roll dough to make apple turnovers (travel well and a special treat) and when I found the whipped soy cream I figured I would make strawberry shortcakes out of the tea biscuit mix.

I washed and sliced some strawberries and sprinkled generously with sugar before we went out to tour the town. When we came back I baked the tea bisuits and while the oven was on, I made the turnovers I added the cinnamon sugar to some chopped apples, folded the crescent roll dough around them and sprinkled the turnovers with sugar.

My daughter and I made the shortcakes and she tasted the strawberries.
Every good cook (including her) knows you should taste your cooking, but I was in such a rush to get everything done that I forgot and while the cinnamon sugar was OK, I was using salt instead of sugar everywhere else.

Not tasty on strawberries! :P

Not tasty on turnovers (those premade doughs are salty enough)! :P

Oh well, we had plain strawberries and whipped cream instead-and that was enough of a treat.

When we went camping this past week, I labelled everything!

Lesson learned-it's not cheaper, if you have to throw it all out.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb