Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: First trip soon !
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:50 pm 

Hello,
I will soon be traveling - through Air Canada - to Calgary, Alberta - first flight ever with food allergies to fish and seafood.

I am wondering if anyone out there has good advice for me to make this trip as safe as possible ?

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Can you time your flight so that it is not likely to serve food?
Bring moist wipes and wipe down your seat area and tray. Preboard to be able to do this thoroughly.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:13 pm 

Are you anaphylactic? If so, prepare an anaphylaxis emergency plan and give it to the flight director on boarding (you can get one off of the Anaphylaxis Canada site). Keep your epi-pen by your side. Take a Reactine before you fly. Pre-board, and as Susan mentioned, take wet wipes and wipe the area down, wear long sleeves and pants that cover your legs. I'm assuming you live in Canada, so that won't be a very long flight - you might want to bring your own food or refrain from eating at all. You could talk to Air Canada customer relations and find out which flights do not serve a cooked dinner. Mostly, fish is served on overseas flights where dinner is served. Try to take a morning flight and check out which meals they will be serving. Do you react to fish fumes? If they sell fishy sandwiches, ask the attendant to request that passengers around you refrain from purchasing the fish. Worked for my daughter.