You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: cruise ships
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:25 am 

Has anyone here with food allergies been on a carnival cruise ship?! If so, how did they accomidate you regarding food allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:54 pm 

Carnival is very good about food allergies, you just let your TA know what they are and She/he should inform Carnival . I have travelled twice with Carnival and once with Princess and had no problems. Hope you have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 pm 

Thats awesome to hear! :D
Thanks!

FireMt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:57 pm 

We went on the Disney Magic for 7 days. Very accomodating and *many* kids on board with various food allergies.

They did require us to have something like 8 Epipens though which was a bit tricky to get through the old drug plan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:27 pm 

Wow, 8 epi pens. Thats alot, but could be a life saver. Would it be easier to buy vials of epi and some syringes. And have one of the people who is traveling with you, as well yourself how to administer it. hmmm .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:38 pm 

Personnally, I wouldn't feel any safer with 8 Epipens... at one point, you really do need some medical attention and you're supposed to get there as fast as possible, Epipens only will not keep me alive for too long!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:11 pm 

I believe they have some what of an emergency room on the cruise ship. I know they employ emergency physicians, ER nurses, and a few others.

Post subject: ER on board
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:32 pm 

Sorry for the lengthy delay in respoding. Yes the cruise ships have basically an ER and Surgery bay on board. There were several nurses and a couple of doctors.

The reason for the 8 epi's I believe was more for leaving with the staff if your child participated in programs as our daughter enrolled in several programs (at her request). The ship itself had additional epi that could be administered in sick bay..

In my daughter's group I think there were only 3 kids who didn't have a food allergy or intolerance of some sort so it was pretty much a non-issue. At first I thought they had singled all the food allergy kids and out and was ticked but nope. Perhaps we all singled the Disney Cruise Line out. I also didn't observe any nuts on board however dairy and shellfish were present.

Our experience was that the staff didn't hesitate to run and grab us a box/bottle/carton so we could read the ingredients and Disney had tried to eliminate nut products from their menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 pm 

How old is your child ?

We are thinking about going on a cruise, my son is 13 and very active so I want to find a ship that he can go and have fun on but be safe. He is allergic to Peanuts / Nuts, including coconut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:08 pm 

Jule Ann

My daughter was 3 at the time and is allergic to peanuts, treenuts and chickpeas.. The staff was well versed in food allergies and cross contamination, including in epi-pen administration.

I'd recommend you call them and discuss your concerns. At 13, he'd be too old for the programs but instead would be in the "teen area" which is there own space on the boat.

j