You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:50 am 

We are hoping to be able to take a trip to Disney next year, but are not sure how to handle the food issues. We are planning to rent a condo with a kitchen and I have already researched the good grocery store locations (Whole Foods etc...) Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring your own meals into the Disney Theme Parks? Most restaurants are out of the question - No asian food (peanuts/nuts/egg allergy); No Italian food (tomato, dairy allergy); No seafood (fish allergy); even french fries are off the list (potato allergy) and bread is always questionable (egg, soy, dairy). Grill cross contamination is also a big concern with any food.

We live in Toronto and to-date we have only ever eaten at Swiss Chalet (my son can have 2 items - the chicken without sauce (tomato allergy) and the plain steamed veggies). Even then, we are always paranoid and consult with the Manager on site and they prepare his food separately to minimize cross-contamination. Everything else is prepared at home.

I would love to hear how others have successfully managed this.

Thanks,
Fiona

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:59 pm 

We are also going on our first family Florida vacation (we live in Barrie). I emailed Disney who replied that we can bring a small cooler into the park and if you send them an email they will send you back some information about the different restaurants at the park. They have Divvies cookies, soy ice cream, soy milk available at some locations. I also emailed sea world and you can take a small cooler in there as well.

I'm sort of worried about the drive down but I'm starting to freeze some muffins for the trip and will take lots of snacks and probably stop at grocery stores when/if we can.

I'll let you know when we get back how it went - we will be back first week in March.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:28 pm 

Thanks so much for the info Luvmikids! I will be very interested to hear how your trip goes and if you manage to successfully bring a cooler into the parks. Unfortunately the soy products don't work for us as my son is allergic to both dairy and soy. We rely on fortified rice milk. I have heard that if you call the restaurants ahead of time they will make accomodations for even the most challenging allergies. Are you planning to have your daughter eat in any of the restaurants? I did some research on local grocery stores and there is a Whole Foods in Kissimmee if you are planning to be staying anywhere near there.

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:36 pm 

We just got back from Florida and had a great trip, we ate lunch at the Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom and as soon as we told the waiter our daughter had food allergies he said the chef would be out to talk to us and the chef did come out and take us to the buffet and explain what my daughter could eat. She only wanted plain noodles (a mainstay of her diet) and so the chef made her a plate full, for dessert they had toffuti and rice dream, she had a great time. They only searched the bag I brought in a little and didn't question any snacks at all - the same with Sea World which my children actually enjoyed more than Disney.

Wow, allergic to dairy and soy my heart goes out to you.

My daughter had more than her share of french fries which is the only thing I trust at take outs for her to eat but it was worth it and we really loved the house we rented. I found it at www.greatrentals.com , there was a grocery store nearby and I was able to find enough there to make meals and pack snacks and sandwiches. One day we left our lunch in the car in a cooler and just went out and ate at the car.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject: another point of view
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:57 pm 

I am answering late but hopefully someone will benefit. My daughter is allergic peanut/treenut/sesame/some fish etc etc. We went to Disney and ate at all the restaurants - it was great! We signed up for the meal plan so it was only $100 per day for a family of 4. We booked ahead all main meals (including the characters) and stated the allergies. Whenever we got to the restaurants they were unfailingly helpful - and they totally got it. For the other 2 meals, one was a snack so we usually got her a little box of cereal (with labels to read) and at lunch, usually in the parks, we could read a book that was easily available with the labels of everything in the meal. I believe all of the kids meals were totally safe for her.

It was the most amazing vacation we have ever had. Totally stress free. I would advise it as it was not too expensive and we actually could eat in restaurants - a big treat for all of us.

Kim