You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: road trip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:25 am 

We're taking our first road trip this summer and I'm worried about food for my allergic daughter. We're traveling to Saskatoon with a stop over in Yorkton. Should I be looking for hotels that have kitchens or should I try to find restaurants that will make food that is safe?
My daughter is 61/2 and is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, white potatoes, shell fish, salmon, kiwi, banana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 am 

My strong recommendation is to stick to hotels with kitchens and make lunches for the road. It is way too stressful to find good safe restaurants while you are travelling. We have travelled to lots of places, but always get a hotel with a kitchen. Especially with the egg and milk allergies (which thankfully my daughter has now outgrown), it is too hard to know what is in the restaurant food and what is the risk of cross-contamination.

If you do eat in a restaurant, you can try a chain which has consisten ingredients or else I recommend eat in a small restaurant and speak directly to the person preparing your food about the allergies and cross-contamination.

See my articles "Have Kitchen, will Travel" in both the winter and summer issues of allergic living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Kimy, I was terrified when we went on our first big trip last summer but I was so empowered afterward. It is freeing to know that with a little forethought you can safely make your world a little bit bigger.

I would look for hotels with kitchens. For a one day stop over, I would make do with a bar fridge and coffee maker (pretty sure I could make couscous in it).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:38 pm 

Thanks for your help. I'll look around for some hotels in the area that have kitchens. It's so helpful to know that other people have had successful trips and actually had fun. I'm looking forward to our trip and want it to be fun for the whole family and as stress-free as possible on the food end of things.

Daughter 6/12 - allergic to eggs, banana, milk, white potato, shellfish, kiwi, salmon, peanuts, tree nuts.

Daughter 4 - no allergies