Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cruising with allergies
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 pm 

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of possibly going on a cruise to the Caribbean in December. I called Carnival cruises (most affordable) and they said that they would fully accommodate my son at all the meals. Everything sounded good on the phone with them saying they would work it all out with the restaurants etc.. .and advised us to only have my son eat the specially prepared foods for him. Anyhow, wondering if anyone else has experience cruising with food allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 am 
Site Admin

No doubt by now you've scrolled through this section and read the posts under various cruise companies.

It seems that it has been successfully done so I'm sure you can do it as well.

The secret to a successful (safe) trip is planning and communicating with the various levels of services involved.

You have contacted them and they seem to beable to accomidate. Be sure to bring several auto-injector (just in case) and remind the cruise staff again when boarding and when first dining. Maybe you can meet the chef?

I would plan to pack some snacks (just in case).

It sounds very exciting!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 am 

I have cruised on the Disney Cruise Line twice and they were very good--very accommodateing. My husband was joking that I'd run away with my server because he took such good care of me. Hope you have a good experience too.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 pm 

I had an amazing experience on Royal Carribean! After the first night in the dining room, every other time we went, the wait staff told me what I could/couldn't pick from the menu and made sure that everything was prepared in a clean area, just like for people who need to eat kosher. I pretty much felt like I had no allergies on this trip because I barely had to remind them (just always asked to confirm that things were ok). I was 90% worry free and food wise, this really was probably the best vacation EVER! Also, they have a good medical area with epi-pens and my cousin who worked on the ship at the time gave us a behind the scenes look...plus they have a helicopter landing pad on the top deck in case anyone would ever need to be transported to a hospital.
Definitely do the cruise, it's memorable and safe :D