You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:34 am 

For those who took a plane with an allergic kid. Did you have a doctor's note, and what did it say?

We are going to the pediatrician tonight (Wednesday) and I was wondering what I should ask her to write (aside from diagnosis and the fact we carry Epipens) on her note.

Our flight is only 1h30 hour, so we can get buy without bringing her milk on board (so not having to deal with security of liquids), and I don't think there is an issue with other snacks...

Also, how many Epipens would you bring? We have 3... I think it should be okay...

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Our allergist has a form letter that simply states, "This is to confirm that (insert name) is required to carry the EpiPen/EpiPen Junior or Twinject for medical reasons."

I don't believe that many airlines would be surprised by this anymore.

I also carry a Dr's note indicating the allergies.

Advise the airline in advance and again when you get to the airport. Just keep advising all staff (communication is everything). Ask to be allowed to preboard so that you can wipe down the seat, buckle, armrests, tray etc.

Bring all of your Epi-pens. You should be fine.

Once you get inside the gate, you can purchase drinks again. (juice etc)

Have a great trip!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 pm 

We took our first trip with our son in April - a 3-hour flight to the Bahamas. I brought a letter from his allergist stating what he is allergic to and that he must have his epi-pen with him at all times. Because we were gone for a week, I brought 2 twin-jects and 4 regular epi-pens (maybe I was paranoid?!). I also called the airline ahead of time to make sure they made a note on his file - I was worried about the airline serving cashews while he was aboard.

What I found most useful on the plane however was giving the flight crew copies of my son's Anaphylactic Plan. They were really appreciative of it and allowed us to board ahead of time to clean his seat and tray area and also made an announcement to request that no nut or fish products were consumed on the flight. This happend on departing as well as arriving flights with different flight crews. They never even asked to see the doctors note. We were very impressed with the care they took and I am certain it was because I had provided them with the plan before we even boarded. I also got the sense that the last thing they would want is any kind of medical emergency in the air.

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 pm 

In all our flights with our daughters epi-pen, we have never once been asked for our doctor's letter (which we always carry). Security has never opened an Epi-pen or even asked what they are. However, I would say that security is highly inconsistent from person to person and airport to airport and have heard stories about being asked so its good to have a letter.

Scott