You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Travel with Epi-pen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 pm 

Has anyone had some trouble taking their Epi-pen through security checkpoints at airports, etc?

When we were at Kennedy Space Station in Florida last fall we had to go through a similar "checkpoint" as an airport - empty pockets into bin, while that is being xrayed, people went through metal detector, cell phones were opened and a button pushed for the security guard. (of course, we had 3 cellphones...sigh...)

I had to open the container for my son's epi-pen, and show the guard my child's medi-alert bracelet (it had already set off the metal detector), to prove that it wasn't anything terror-related.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences...

Cheers,
Buzimom of 4 boys ages 14, 12, 11 no allergies - youngest age 5 allergic to nuts, eggs, shellfish, enviromental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 pm 

I have heard of people having problems so we always travel with a note from dr. saying epis are medically required, she wears medicalert and I tell them as soon as we hit security. We've not had a problem but have had some guards want to see the dr. letter, in particular to travel with more than one epi. Also, I know of people who have not been allowed to take them on board if there was no prescription label matching a plane ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:45 pm 

My son has travelled to California, Florida and the United Kingdom and we have never had any problems with airport security. In fact, they have never even asked about the Epipens. I do carry a letter from his allergist, just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:04 pm 

We're off to Alberta next week for a holiday. My daughter will be wearing her e-belt on the plane but I have a copy of a doctor's note and a copy of the prescription label. I'm assuming that will be okay. Since we're travelling within Canada, I'm assuming it won't be as much of a hassle.
Really looking forward to the trip. I haven't been on one since my daughter was born over 9 years ago. Can't wait to show my kids how beautiful Alberta is. We're going to Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm 

Laurensmom - How lucky- Banff and Lake Louise has got to have some of the most spectacular scenery on earth - and believe me, I've been "around"...Are you able to take your daughter to Drumheller? It is a really neat contrast to the mountains - plus it is home to the Dinosaur museum which makes a good learning experience too...Have a great time, enjoy the view...
Cheers,
Buzimom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 am 

Hi there - we're on the move again - not much reply from earlier post re: epipens and airport security - we will be off to Florida next month, and I will be taking 4 epipens with me, that cannot go into the luggage re: temperature (it's cold down there) - this will be our first flight with the epipens, so I'm a little nervous. I won't have a dr's note as due to the shortage of drs - we don't have one - my pharmacist is wonderful at renewing the epipen prescription regularly (OK, I argue a little about it as a necessity)...but all epipens are labelled with child name and he has the medic alert bracelet. Any tips?

Thanks,
Buzimom of 4 boys ages 15, 13, 12 & 7 the only one with peanut, shellfish, egg allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:54 pm 

We just travelled last weekend and had 4 epipens. We went through security, and I had more (curious) questions about my daughter's talking bunny than anything else...
We've also travelled in September and didn't have any questions regarding the Epipens (and my DH had forgotten his prescription label)!

I did have a doctor's note, and the pharmacist's slip (I asked for it), but we never got asked about it.

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:16 pm 

I have had quite a few trips with my epi's. I use to carry a doctors note, I don't bother any more they never question me about the three Twinjects that I carry. I always wait for an issue but it has never happened. :D