You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:01 pm 

I'm taking my 14-year-old daughter to New Zealand soon. From my research, it appears that the country is allergy savvy. However, in addition to taking extra Epipens, I've decided to rent a car; this way, we can carry food with us and avoid restaurants as much as possible. If any of you who know NZ can give me advice on ANYTHING I should be aware of, I'd appreciate it. (Of course, travel advice would be welcomed too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 pm 

I would recommend looking into a campervan rental instead of just a car if you want to do a lot of travelling because then you will have your own kitchen with you and don't have to worry about finding one to cook in. Camper rentals are very popular in NZ and it is a relatively small country to drive around in.

If you don't get a camper, then I would recommend trying to stay in places with kitchens and cooking as many of your meals as possible. See my articles in Allergic Living for tips on travelling with allergies:

http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=142
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=169

I travelled to the south island before I had kids with allergies and had a great time. There is lots to see in a small area. Whales watching, the glaciers, the fjords, the mountains, the sheep, etc.

have fun,

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 pm 

We toured the South Island with our children (3 years old at the time - one of them PA) almost 2 years ago. I agree that the camper van is an excellent option. There are many campsites, although depending on when you go, it can be a bit chilly (we went in April - March probably would have been better.

The country is indeed very allergy aware - probably more so than Canada. The very first restaurant we went to in Queenstown was completely gluten-free and the chef came out to talk about the peanut allergy, read labels on the items in my son's lunch, etc.
I believe labelling is mandatory, including may contains. We spent a fair bit of time at the beginning reading labels in the grocery stores, but soon found the brands we could eat - be warned - they have may contain on just about every single cookie and cracker, which was a bit tough with 3-year-olds.

Friends of mine travelled about the same time with 2 small children and preferred hotels with kitchens - I gather they are very common, so you shouldn't have trouble booking them if you want to go that route.

If you want more information or travel advice, just send me an e-mail. NZ was one of our family`s favourite vacations.

Susan