You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:24 pm 

I went to Spain back in September and was extremely nervous about travelling in that part of the world. They use ground almonds as flour (in some dishes) and place nuts all over everything. I couldnt believe it when I went go get some potato salad and there were slices almonds all over it. I spoke to the chef (luckily I speak spanish) and he took me to all the foods and told me which things were safe to eat and what to stay away from. We were staying at an all inclusive hotel and let me say... on a trip to Barcelona I was never so happy to see a McDonalds in my life!!!! They had the nutritional information available and it was a great pleasure to eat something other than fruit.

The one good thing about travelling in Spain is the fact that they produce most of the worlds olive oil, which is exported to Italy ect. So the main cooking oil is olive. (I have a severe allergy to Peanuts and Nuts.)

Generally I avoid eating anything that "might contain" any peanut/nut products...including bread when I'm away from home. No desserts nothing. So as a travel tip to anyone with allergies: take what food you can with you and dont take risks. But dont place yourself in such a bubble that you are afraid to travel. I go on about 2 trips a year and have to force myself to take the step out of my comfort zone.

I would love to go to Thailand (peanut heaven) LOL however at this point I would rather test the waters...(so to speak) in Europe again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:22 pm 

Hi - I just posted a very similar topic. I am anaphalxis to Peanuts and Nuts and was thinking about plannign a trip to Spain and the Netherlands, would you recommend it anyways after encountering your problems? I did take Spanish in school however I'm sure it's all gone now and was going to be going the Spanish flashcards to give to servers route, what is your opinion on this?
Any advice I really appreciate - thank you!!