You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:33 pm 

Hi,
We're heading to Niagara Falls next week for 2 days and were wondering if anyone has eaten out at places that have been safe for those with peanut allergies. Our hotel room has a microwave and fridge however we'd like to eat out for one of the evening's if possible.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:40 pm 

I recommend Boston Pizza. We've been to the one on Morrison Street, there is another one on Clifton Hil but we havent gone to that one yetl.

They have an allergy policy in place (my son has an egg and peanut allergy and have a binder which lists the ingredients, (all you have to do is ask to see it).

Upon arrival let the hostess know of the allergy and ask if they would kindly re-wipe the table including the underside (you know kids), we then let our server know. We have never had a problem, in fact its the only place other than pizza pizza that we go.

Post subject: Boston Pizza
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:27 pm 

Boston Pizza? really? We have always avoided them because (we believed) they had a SZECHUAN pizza with peanut sauce. Its not too bad when food is prepared in a different section of a kitchen but we thought that it was too close for comfort. For us there are probably still too many allergens on their menu since we also have nuts, shellfish and sesame among others. We will have to investigate it - its been a while and they may have made some changes. Always nice to add more restaurants.

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:50 am 

The Keg: http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/locations/O ... gara_Falls

There are two in Niagara Falls. The one at the top of Embassy Suites is the best one.

http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/nutritional_information

We've had positive experiences at the Hard Rock Cafe in Niagara Falls. The waitress and kitchen staff were very allergy aware. I asked the waitress about the hamburger on the children's menu (mainly about the bun). She mentioned the peanut/nut allergy to the kitchen staff and was told that the hamburger patty on the children's menu has some filler in it and therefore they were not sure if it was safe. However, the "adult" burgers are 100% beef so they gave my son this burger at no extra charge.

Menu items which contain nuts/seeds are marked with an cross. However, it is hard to tell if the item has just nuts or seeds or both.

http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes ... IBEnumID=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:38 pm 

I am glad I could add another restaurant to your list.

The first time we decided to try them I called and discussed their policy. It was/is my understanding that they prepare the food separately. We've gone to the one in Ajax, Pickering, Cobourg, Midland, Wasaga Beach and Niagara Falls without any trouble; in fact it's the only restaurant we have gone to as a family :(

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:57 pm 

Thanks everyone. We ended up eating lunch at Ruby Tuesday's on one day and it was a very positive experience. The wait staff and chef was wondeful and they even serve peanut free chapman's ice cream with the kids meals. We ate at the Keg on the Saturday night and again the staff and cook were so helpful! Thanks again!