You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 pm 

When outdoors, we use a thin pouch and have the epi close to the body; it would have the snowpants and parka shielding it from the cold. The little thermometers are good for this too.

When curling, it was worn on the outside and got too cold and therefore had to be replaced. We have left it in the car by accident too.

If leaving with someone else at hockey I would be cautious since most people do not understand that it has to be kept within a specific temperature range. Recently I spoke with a teacher before an outdoor field trip and she did not know about that and was just going to have it in her bag --- she put it in an inside pocket of her coat so hoping it was warm enough...

We live in Winnipeg so it definitely gets cold here!!!

Any inventors want to make a carrier which can regulate temperature regardless of the outdoor temperature??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 am 

Quote:
Any inventors want to make a carrier which can regulate temperature regardless of the outdoor temperature??

Walooet that is a great idea.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 am 

Next week I will be seeing a man who could make this happen... He has invented and brought to market some unique ideas. I'll have a chat with him :D And at the same time will ask him to figure out how to make a smaller epi-pen! Or at least make it cool for teenagers to carry them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 pm 

I'm jumping in a little late on this thread, but wanted to throw in our approach to this. Our son plays hockey, and he wears his Epipen under his hockey gear, but over his long underwear. My husband is helping coach, and wears our sons other Epipen on him. When we ski together, my son wears his Epipen under his clothing, and my husband and I wear the extra Epipens. In the summer, if it's an extreme weather day, we will wrap the Epipen in several cloths and keep it near a reuseable small freezer pack in a lunch bag all by itself. However, our son still wears the Epipen on his waist.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:11 pm 

Totally old thread, I know. . . .

Whenever we have gone ice skating, I have worn the epipen belt under my coat. However, I'm thinking of putting DS in an ice hockey camp this summer that is 3 hours per day for a week. I don't know how feasible it would be for me to stay there since there is DD to think of too, who wouldn't be in the camp. He'll be not quite 5, by the way.

Julie mentioned above of her son wearing it under the hockey equipment - I know that my DH, who plays hockey, would say it's uncomfortable, etc. I called the arena and they have a first aid backpack that is with the kids at all times, and they would put the epipens in there (I'd be concerned about temp unless it's in a insulated pouch of some sort), and the instructors would be trained.

If it's with the first aid kit, I still worry about being separated from it when going to the bathroom, etc?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Why can't the coach wear it under his/her coat?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:37 pm 

Yeah, that could be an option, but there will be up to 3 instructors and up to 16 kids, so not sure each instructor would be with the group of kids every single minute. . . .

The program coord said they have had one child in the past who wore an epibelt under equipment but most kept theirs in the backpack.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:49 pm 

Hi Alison's mom, I just wanted to let you know that our son never complained about the Epibelt being uncomfortable under his hockey equipment (his skin is probably rough around his waist from the constant wearing of the Epibelt next to his skin :wink: ) To try to protect his skin, and still fit the pants overtop, he would wear it outside his long underwear (which he still wore, even during summer hockey, which you still really need because the equipment can rub on the skin just as much as the Epibelt) Why don't you practise with your son wearing the Epibelt with his equipment on and play with getting it the most comfortable for him. Our son wore it slightly looser, but still beneath (underneath) his hockey pants. We just had to tie his hockey pants slightly looser because he was thicker through the middle because of the Epibelt. Personally, my husband & I insist that our son ALWAYS wear his Epipen (and sometimes two, depending on the circumstances). It's basically never up for discussion that he goes without his Epi on from the moment he leaves the house - even in our driveway! Good luck with it! :)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 pm 

Thanks so much, Julie, for the extra info. What type of epibelt does he use? We have double kozy epis.

Ww haven't actually bought his equipment yet. . . He's currently taking floor hockey, but hasn't actually played ice hockey yet. Since they are still young, I keep their epipens when we are out together; they usually only wear them at school. We will change this when they are a bit older, though, and have them be responsible for their epipens. I think yours is a good rule.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. I will keep them in mind when trying, buying and lacing up equipment! Thx.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 pm 

Hi again Alison's mom, Our son has had 2 different types of Epibelts. One was the actual E-belt, and the second is the WaistPal by Omaxcare (concealedepipen.com). He has worn both styles under his hockey equipment. The WaistPal is somewhat similar to the KoziEpi (we have samples of these) in that it is a soft fabric, but it has the elongated pouch similar to the E-belt. I hope your son won't mind wearing it under his hockey gear. It gives my husband and I peace of mind knowing that his Epipen is always with him whereever he is.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:13 am 

Thanks Julie! I'll let you know how it all works out.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm 

What would worry me about a back pack is like you mentioned Anna Marie what about when he goes to the bathroom, but also what if the back pack goes missing or accidentaly gets picked up by someone else, even another instructor and taken to another area.
I too have DS wear his epipen even if in the driveway. There have been times that paper from recycle bins have drifted around and as luck would have it they always seem to be a burger king wrapper or a food wrapper of some sort.

Glad to hear that the epi fits under hockey gear all right, we'll be in the same boat soon enough as DS will be 4 in the fall.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish