You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:14 pm 

We have finally booked our trip to Australia for next spring, and am hoping to find some allergy-aware restaurants in Sydney and Perth. Also are there brands of bread, cookies, cereal, crackers, ice cream, etc that are nut and peanut free? Those are their most serious allergens, whereas they are outgrowing the milk and egg, and the sesame and kiwi are milder. Are there certain grocery stores that are more likely to carry allergy aware products?

We plan to rent an apartment with a kitchen in each city, and cook most of our meals, but it would be nice to eat out a couple of times on the trip.

If anyone has info on food available at the Perth, Sydney, and Auckland airports, that would be helpful too . . .we have a 6hr stopover in Auckland.

Also, any experiences with Air New Zealand? We are flying with them from LAX through Auckland to Perth. Then I need to decide which carrier to use from Perth to Sydney. Qantas sounds better than Jetblue according to their website. . . .?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:39 am 

hi-I live in aust. I cant give you specific brands for breads etc-the allergies we are dealing with require constant checking of labels-what may have been ok last time may not be ok this time for us.
Most supermarkets (major chains Coles and woolworths )have a health food section which would have a variety of foods that is 'allergy friendly'-as long as you have the right allergies!-usually useless for us but if youre dealing mostly with top 8 stuff would be ok. Health food shops would also give you some options.
Sesame is one of our mandatory labels here (along with peanut, tree nut, dairy, wheat, soy, egg, seafood) so you will probably find that helpful.
We find many things have 'may contain' warnings-we are in the process of getting standardised warnings but presently it may mean made on the same equipment to stored in a factory that stores another product that has it in it-difficult to get an idea of the real risk involved-all products have a phone number to call and the help lines are (generally) very helpful especially with top 8 allergens).
As far as airlines go we have always flown jetstar (a sister company of qantas-cheaper). For us its good as they dont have inflight meals (at least with the ones we have flown on)-its ok to bring your own food on board or they have a food cart you can buy stuff from.
Airports we will only ever go for McDonalds :frightened =horrible I know, but for us we know that the ingredients NEVER alter from store to store and is the safest option we have-we struggle getting any food anywhere due to the sunflower allergy (no-one ever know what 'vegetable' oil they have in their products).
As far as eating out goes-no real suggestions apart from phoning ahead, going when its quiet, and speaking directly with the chef. We have found most places very accomodating especially with advance warning.
Good luck!
caz

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:02 pm 

Thank you so much, Caz! Great info that you have provided, and I was thinking that McDonalds would be good for the airports we will be going through.

I will look online for brands and check out their ingredients before we go. I have several months before we fly, but I like to get a head start on these things!

thanks again.