You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:36 pm 

I have read so many great travel tips in this section when it comes to travelling with allergies. Armed with these tips, we have managed a couple of short overnight trips with our 3 yr old son with multiple food allergies. However, I still cannot get my mind around an extended trip. (Prior to having a child with food allergies, my husband, daughter and I enjoyed travelling immensely, but that has completely changed now that we have a family member with food allergies!) Next summer, our family is having a reunion in western Manitoba. There is no way I feel comfortable travelling with our allergic son on a plane (despite all the great tips I've read and stories others have shared). We had decided to drive (it would take approximately 27 hours), and when I feel really syked up, I think we can do it, but most of the time, I have so much anxiety when I think about it. Part of the problem is the age of our son, and the fact that he still does not quite understand his condition. Do others share these anxieties? Would you make this trip? If so, how would you do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:50 pm 

My brother lives in B.C. This summer he got married. He wanted my girls to be the flower girls. I did not know if we could even attend. Both my daughters have allergies. Restaurants were out of the question, and it was a 20 hour drive!!! Even if we flew, how would I feed them when we got there?

After a lot of thought, my husband and I decided to trade in my vehicle, and buy a fifth wheel and a new vehicle that could tow it. I understand the financial shock that this scenerio creates, believe me. We figured that if we were a family with no allergies we would spend money on vacations anyways. We justified it that way. There is quite a range of prices for RV's. Some of them actually are quite affordable. We have really enjoyed our RV. RV parks are really nice, some have playgrounds, laundry, mini golf and heated pools. It was also nice to roast marshmallows on a campfire too.

While on our trip to B.C. we saw lots of "RV for rent" vehicles too! They include a bathroom and a KITCHEN!!! I included the web addess for the company that all the ones we saw were from. These were everywhere on the highway near Banff! I could not believe how many of these I saw! Apparently lots of european travelers fly to canada and tour canada and the u.s. all summer in these. Definitely another option worth looking into. Hope this helps!
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:07 pm 

Julie, I have flown with my peanut allergic daughter, who, at the time had multiple allergies as well. I gave her benadryl before the flight, wiped down the armrests and seat, notified the flight crew, brought two epipens and our own food. We have done family reunions as well, and everyone is told REPEATEDLY :lol: not to feed our daughter, I do all the cooking for her and make sure she has safe snacks. The only place we eat at on the road is McD's (gag) because I know its safe for her, though I still go in armed with the pen. Or we make road sandwiches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:03 pm 

The caravan sounds wonderful. It would give you a sleeping area, and cooking area. Plus you could destress yourself if needed.
We have had to travel across Canada as my Husband moved from one area of Canada to another every four years. That is just stressful in itself...
I am sure you can find a way to travel and also have foods by planning your trip some.It is a huge pain, but it helps lots. I hate to plan things....My husband does some of this as he good in that area.
What do you like to eat? What can you eat cold or hot? How many meals would it be?
I went to the Allergy Expo we found a really good place to stay, it cost lots.. It was our holiday, a little after the occasion ( we were married for 25 years in March) but it was nice time to go. May is nice in Toronto.
Would it be worth it to do all this expense and planning to go the reunioun? You could make it a wonderful trip.
If we go into other provinces as that makes the trip longer we try to make it part of the holiday. Well, even if we travel to Toronto I always want to go to Bon Echo Park and swim and have lunch. It just makes it more relaxing....
Well, this seems long enough Good luck
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:11 pm 

I never had any major contact reactions like your son, Julie, so travelling wasn't quite as much of a concern. But when I was a kid we always went on vacations in the summer. Once we drove all the way to B.C. and back--that was quite the trip (we did it in 5 weeks)! I think the whole travelling thing was hard on my mom especially because of the asthma situation which wasn't that good in hotel rooms. (My father wouldn't wake up as easily and could go back to sleep a lot faster.) This was before the days when some hotel rooms were supplied with microwaves and bar fridges----my parents brought a lot of food with them along with an electric skillet in which we would warm up canned food. Living on canned food isn't the greatest (especially canned meat--ick)---in those days, though, I could eat breads so it was livable. Of course, they would bring a cooler as well.