You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:03 pm 

Hi! Anyone ever been to Greece? We took our 15 yr old daughter with severe peanut allergy to the Dominican Republic last year, and it was quite unsettling for me. Although I had written in Spanish that she had the allergy and could die, we realized that some of the employees at the resort could not read. Anyway, it turned out okay, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I was a bit of a wreck a few times. We've travelled quite a bit in Canada and the US without any problems at all. Have also done two cruises and both were great.

So we're planning on going to Greece this summer. Although we'll be staying in a rented house for most of the time, I'm sure we'll be eating out lots as well. I am not familiar with Greek food at all. Anyone out there been to Greece or is Greek? Any information would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:33 pm 

I find it best to eat as many meals at our rented house with a kitchen as possible and to take lunch and snacks with us when we do day trips and avoid eating out in restaurants, especially if we don't speak the language.

You can get language cards made up, but it can be hard to communicate allergy concepts like cross-contamination. Also, when I was there, outside of the major tourist areas, very few people spoke english. It was common in small restaurants to go into the kitchen and point at what you wanted, not really knowing what it was.

If you are going to eat out, my advice is to get translation cards and go to small restaurants where you can speak to the person preparing the food directly and hopefully have someone who can translate for you.

See my articles "Have kitchen, will travel" in the winter and summer issues of allergic living magazine for more tips.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:15 pm 

Thanks for your information. I actually spoke to someone who is Greek and has been to Greece many times. He said that the places we are staying are very touristy and everyone will understand and speak English. I think I will get a translation card made up though. I have read about those restaurants where you point to the food you want in the kitchen. I think those cards would come in handy.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 am 

How was your trip to Greece?
It has been a while, but I was wondering about your experience.
We are planing to go this summer.
Thanks in advance