You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bringing Epipen on plane
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 pm 

we leave this Friday for Florida and I'm wondering if I need to get a letter from my allergist in case we're stopped at airport security. My DS1 (10 yrs old) carries 2 epipens in his Epibelt. 2 years ago we took a letter when we flew to Florida just in case we were stopped (since it is a needle and could be dangerous) but no one ever asked for a letter. Does anyone know if a letter is needed or am I being overly cautious? We will also have 2 in our luggage but he needs them on the plane obviously. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:51 pm 

It is a good backup to have the note with you. You can check the website for your airline. Which airline are you travelling with?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 am 

I never have had a letter but it is a good idea to have one. Just my opinion but I would not put the extra epi's in your checked luggage I would carry it in a separate carry on. This way there is no chance it could get lost or have a temperature problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:13 am 

It's better to have the note and not need it, than to need the note and not have one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:49 am 
Site Admin

I agree with the previous poster who said, Don't place them in your luggage. Between lost luggage and uncertain temperature fluctuations, it isn't a good idea.

If you have a Dr's note bring a copy along but if you don't don't worry. Most airport personell are familiar with epipens and their use.

Bring lots of wipes and preboard to be able to wipe down the area.

Have a great time!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:33 am 

Thanks for all of the replies. We're flying on Sunwing out of Toronto. We have never used that airline before (I've actually never heard of it). I will put the extra epis in my carry-on and give my allergist a quick call this morning. Thanks for all of your help. This is the 2nd trip we've done to Florida and I have to say that Disney (and Seaworld) definitely know how to properly handle food allergies! We had an amazing time last time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:59 pm 

I don't think it matters which airline, as the security check is not airline-specific. We have never been questioned about our Epipens. There was one time that they were training a new security officer when he definitely got a little excited when he saw them on the X-ray, but the trainer explained what it was, then asked us to get it out and show him so he knew for the future. Always put them in the carry-on! And the pharmacy label should be enough, I think that covers all the legal requirements.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm 

I picked up the letter from my allergist this morning. It seems that this letter is a common occurence with Epipens. I'm always one to err on the side of caution so having the letter makes me feel a bit better. All I need is to get stopped at security and miss the plane :s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Have fun in Fla., Canuckmommy. I am so impressed with Disney's "can do" approach to food allergies.
:thumbsup

FYI others, Transport Canada told Allergic Living it does recommend having a dr.'s note and a prescription label on the auto-injector ever since 9/11.
While true that most airport security personnel are familiar with the devices, they can on occasion get sticky about such things. Better to have the MD note.

(Remember that all it takes is one suspicious incident somewhere on American soil for security measures to go up a notch across the country. Better to have a note than to risk losing the device at security.)

A GP can usually write such a letter, doesn't have to be the allergist. I've used the same note for a couple of years now. It's fraying, probably time to get another.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:44 am 

When we were flying we needed the letter, especially in Europe. In Frankfurt they would not let us go through without reading the letter, and confirming that the letter is written for the same name as the one on the child's passport.

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:49 pm 

We just got home and neither the US or Canadian gov't even questioned us, let alone, asked for the epi-pen letter so I'll keep it for future use. Like always Disney and SeaWorld impressed me with their positive and typical "we'll do everything we can to please you" approach especially when it came to making my DS1's meals safe. I highly recommend a trip there. Even my 1 yr old nephew who recently was diagnosed with an egg allergy was easily accomodated.
the flight with Sunwing was wonderful and they announced that a passenger (my son) had a life threatening peanut allergy and asked that no one consume nuts on the plane. They also do not use nuts on flight snacks etc. Overall a wonderful experience ... but now, after 2 weeks away ... I'm pooped!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

I glad you had a great (and uneventful) trip! :D

That's really good to hear about Sunwing! If you get the chance, you might want to send an e-mail thanking them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:56 pm 

I tried to send an email to Sunwing but cannot find where I can do that on their site. :( I love to praise companies when they do amazing work. :)

Btw, on Sunwing we were actually fed lol (although my DS1 decided he would forgo the food and eat what we had brought) plus each child received a small orange backpack filled with colouring sheets, crayons, an x's and o's game etc. Nice touch. And the movie was wonderful on the way down (Ice Age 3). Great pic since it was a plane full of kids on their way to Florida. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:06 am 
Site Admin

I always use a search engine such as Google or Bing.
http://www.flysunwing.com/flybetter/contactus.asp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 am 

I remember reading an article in the Toronto Star recently about the security measures in place after the latest terrorist attempt. It specifically mentioned epipens as an item allowed on board :) Still, a dr's note can't hurt and would give you peace of mind.