You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:46 pm 

We are traveling to Jamaica in November with my 4 yr old son who is allergic to peanuts. Prior to booking this trip, I did some extensive research.

First, I spoke with the resort’s executive chef who personally guaranteed to prepare my son’s meals in a separate part of the kitchen using separate utensils (it was reassuring that he explained everything I wanted to know before I asked). His sous chefs are also very familiar with food allergies and ready to assist with proper food preparations as need.

I also researched the onsite and local medical facilities and feel comfortable that should my son ingest peanut protein, we’ll be able to get him to a local facility within 15 minutes (we’ll have plenty of epi-pens on hand of course).

My major concern is flying. We have flow with him in the past but have never been asked to sign an allergy waiver by the airline. I’ve always been very careful on flights with wiping down the seats and tray, not letting him run around, and taking his own food onboard. I realize that flying always increases the risk of something happening but I’m wondering if airborne exposure on a plane could trigger an allergic reaction. Sunwing does not serve peanut/tree nut snacks and the head stewart on the plan will make a general announcement kindly asking passengers to avoid eating peanuts but I'm afraid someone close to us could open a bag. Do I need to worry?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:55 pm 

Quote:
We have flow with him in the past but have never been asked to sign an allergy waiver by the airline.

What does the waiver say?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:11 pm 

It basically states that they cannot guarantee that something will happen. They will do their "best" to assist but will not be held liable or responsible should he be exposed to any peanuts, bi-products, etc.
"IT IS UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED that you fully understand the terms of the acceptance of your flights and any future travel with the Sunwing Airlines, and that based on the above advice and information you agree to release Sunwing airlines and the Sunwing Travel Group from any liability whatsoever, pertaining to his ailment as advised to Sunwing. Your signing of this letter hereby confirms that you are voluntarily accepting the conditions of his travel and that this constitutes a full release of any future claims against Sunwing Airlines or the Sunwing Travel Group."

Has anyone had to sign one of these yet?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 pm 

Wow! I can see them doing their best and you accepting that an accident can happen but it seems different and wrong somehow when asked to sign a legal waiver.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 pm 

When we travel I always pack Sunrype Fruit-to Go Snacks. On more than one occasion I have offered these to a nearby passenger who had hesitantly put away their peanut granola bar or another peanut snack when the stewardess had asked passengers to please not bring these out. I always make a point of thank fellow passengers and offering the fruit bars.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an article written by Scott McKenzie, our travelling guru. In it he talks about his travels to Jamaica.
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... e-kitchen/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb