You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 pm 

We will be spending some time in Calgary soon, and I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation. Generally we stick to fast food, since although they aren't the healthiest they seem to have the best info re ingredients. I would really like to go to a restaurant instead, any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:25 pm 

My DD is allergic to eggs, not nuts, but when we eat out, we go to the Keg, Outback, Boston Pizza as we find them allergy aware and also always accommodating in all locations.

Hope it's a fun trip!

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:40 pm 

We once stayed at the Delta downtown Calgary when we went to a dance competition. I called ahead and the chef was very accommodating then. He even had a loaf of the brand of bread we use. (peanut, nut allergies). I discussed what my daughter would want to eat and called down at least a half hour before arriving at the restaurant. I also made sure I went there at less busy times.
We have also had good luck at Moxie's when we travel. Call ahead and speak with management wherever you go.
Are you staying in a hotel? It is often possible to get a fridge and microwave in your room. The Comfort Inn Suites has these.
Enjoy your trip!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 am 

DH has celiac disease, not a life threatening allergy, but we've found that we can go to the same place and have 2 different experiences on the same dish. Anywhere you go you run into the problem of cross contamination. We've had the best luck at the high end restaurants (the Fairmont chain has been best - in Calgary it is the Palliser Hotel) and you can usually speak to the chef. We've also had luck at the Redwater Grill, but they are celiac aware, not necessarily allergy aware. Wherever you go, definitely call ahead and speak to a manager. The wait staff usually don't know much and you will likely get someone different than you had on the phone. We've also had good luck at Earl's on Macleod Trail. You can also search out menus and information online, some restaraunts have great sites. If you can get to them, there are a few good grocery stores in town that have a lot of allergy friendly products. Planet Organic and Community Natural Foods are a couple that come to mind.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm 

Well darn, I wish I had found this before you went to Calgary Becky. Next time, you can check this place out. The Copper Pot, I posted a thread on Hall of Fame. Great story.

How was your trip?

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy