Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Air Canada
On December 2, Air Canada posted its updated allergy policy on its website. This policy was developed as a result of a recent Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) ruling. Key stakeholders - including allergy associations and consumer groups - did not have input on the policy.

The new policy is available at: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... ional.html

As part of their new policy, Air Canada has introduced buffer zones for allergic passengers and the need for a medical form for travel.

Please note that the website does not provide clear direction regarding the need for a "Fitness For Travel" form and "allergies" is not currently listed on the medical conditions that require this form.

Please contact Air Canada directly for clarification on the use of this form before you travel - 1-888-247-2262 (option 4).

Anaphylaxis Canada recognizes the challenges faced by allergic individuals when travelling and is working to help create safer environments that will better protect those at risk.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:55 am 

This is so disappointing. The medical form hasn't even been updated and now we have to get a doctor's approval to request the buffer zones. This is exactly what I always suspected about Air Canada.... they really don't want anyone with allergies to fly with them. They are making it as difficult and bureaucratic as possible.

I'm just wondering.... what if we choose not to disclose the allergy? My son always brings his own food and I have never, except once out of curiosity, asked for an announcement or any other accommodations. Most times we have never even mentioned the allergy to onboard personnel.

It looks like me and my son will be flying British Airways from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:04 pm 

I've shared this on the forum before but we have gotten far better service onboard for my motion sickness than the allergies. While we have gotten some great help with the allergies, nothing like the time I was almost sick and had every attendant checking on me regularly :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:45 pm 

Airlines don't want people with allergies it seems, maybe they're afraid of lawsuits or something equally ridiculous. I had to quit flying when they started allowing pets on board more frequently a decade ago. The combination of the congestion and pressure change becomes too much to take and usually seems to lead to extended illness for me. I also have what a doctor called reverse motion sickness - when you land, if you're not moving, the world begins to spin as the head had adjusted to motion and hasn't adjusted back. It lasts for about as long as the motion occurred. It's actually quite humorous at times (honest, I wasn't drinking!), but it's a pain if you need to drive or do anything after landing. The biggest help for this and allergies for me is to drink plenty of fluids (20-25 oz per hour is where it has a benefit for me) which is hard since you are limited on what you can take on board these days.

Accommodation for anaphylactic situations needs to be far more guaranteed. It's very frustrating, some people don't understand life and death situations it seems.

Add it all up and I haven't flown since 2001. In fact, a big reason I now live in southern Ontario is because you can drive to much of the continent from here, since my flying days are over.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:26 pm 

two of their listed snack have sesame in the name. that saved me lots of reading.

So, they want you to advise at least 48 hours in advance, and have forms filled out by a doctor. and theN they will ATTEMPT to set up a buffer zone. They will ASK people within that zone to not eat peanuts/nuts. Wow! Jump through the hoops and hope you don't have Mr. Peanut sitting right behind you.

and what happens when THEY cancel YOUR flight? Last week dh got to the airport only to find out that his flight had been cancelled, and he was put on a flight four hours later. That would mean less then 48 hours notice, and so it would be beyond their ability to ASK people within a few rows not eat peanuts/nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 pm 

Really, it seems to me it would be just easier not to serve nuts at all. Our family just doesn't get this.You'ld think people would die if they don't have any for awhile. :roll:

Oh, and frustratedallergic,
Quote:
a big reason I now live in southern Ontario is because you can drive to much of the continent from here,
it is the centre of the universe. :rofl :wink: :huggy

I just couldn't let that one go.
Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 pm 

It takes a while to get used to the gravity change here, with the rest of the world and universe revolving around here, there isn't the same spin. Just kidding of course! But I might be on to something...maybe it's that and not mold allergy that's been causing my dizzyness! :)

I certainly agree -- why not just not serve nuts on planes? My dad used to travel a lot when he was working, and he didn't understand why some planes still served nuts (while it doesn't affect us directly, we've certainly felt the frustration of people not wanting to make very minor changes to keep people with allergies healthy and/or safe).