You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:09 am 

We are thinking of flying with our PA child, and am wondering what we need to know or do ahead of time. Should we have a Drs letter in order to carry an epipen on the plane? Do we need to book directly with the airline or can we book through Airmiles and then contact AC to inform them about the allergy? Unfortunately, there are no direct flights, so there will be a minimum of 2 planes each way.

I'm very nervous about it, and want to make sure everything goes smoothly as possible.

eta: I just found some info online that states that all medication must be clearly labeled with prescription info, but we no longer have the boxes for many of the epipens. Do I need new ones?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:48 am 

My son has flown with Air Canada several times to the US and England over the past 7 years. I have a doctor's note for the Epipen but we have never once been asked to show it. In fact, I just keep the Epipens in my purse and don't even bother taking them out before they go through the x-ray machines at security. We have never once been asked about them or asked to show the prescription label. My advice is to get a doctor's letter just in case. But quite honestly, it is highly likely you will never need to use it.

By the way, even if you book directly via Air Canada's website, there was never a way to flag the allergy online. I always had to follow up with a phone call. So booking via Air Miles would give you the same result.

You can try calling Air Canada to have the allergy noted in the file. But my very recent experience shows that they are now refusing to accept the information and make an allergy note. Air Canada's reply to my complaint about this was they will be reviewing their customer service procedures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

If you have the Dr's not advising of the allergy (we get one after testing), simply bring this.
To be honest, most airport security is used to seeing epipens these days, it doesn't even faze them.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:02 pm 

I have Dr's notes stapled into each child's passport, but have never been questioned about the epipens. We have also had prescription labels on boxes sometimes, so the unit itself is unlabelled, but I figure with the dr's note we would be pretty safe. We generally have some labelled and others not (with two kids, we fly with 8 epipens). If you have pharmacy receipts, that would probably be good for something too.

I would phone AC directly after booking with your airmiles and have them put it in the file. You can ask about them doing a PA announcement, and creating a buffer zone on the plane, but from what I remember, AC told me they don't make a habit of doing either, and it's up to the employee's discretion when you request at the ticket counter/gate. AC advised me to bring a blanket to cover the seat so the child would be mostly in contact with the blanket and not residue from the seat.

I fly with Westjet as much as possible when the kids are coming with us, but have flown AC with no incident - they didn't serve any peanuts on the flights we were on, but were selling cashews. There were several of us flying together and after wiping down all the trays, armrests, seats (WJ had leather and AC had fabric), etc we kept the kids in the middle and watched out for people near us eating cashews and it didn't come up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:11 pm 

Your pharmacy could also print out another sticker to put on the epi.

There are seat covers available online to cover the airline seat. When our daughter was younger I boarded first and wiped down her seat and table etc. We prefer that she not eat on the plane but sometimes that cannot be avoided.

With many younger kids it could be more challenging but another option is to use the kids' booster seats so they are not actually on the seat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

We have always preboarded and wiped down as much as possible. You can always bring a sheet (it doesn't have to be a special sheet-an old twin sheet should suffice). Dressing in pants and long sleeves helps too.

I don't think airlines allow booster seats to be used on the planes. We had to check ours.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:11 am 

When you use a twin size sheet, do you cover the whole seat with it and flop it over the headrest? Does it stay and place and will it interfere with the TV of the person sitting behind? We fly AC in a couple months and this will be the first year that DS will be sitting on the seat and not in his car seat, so I was trying to think of something to use.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Admin

A trick I learned from my grandmother: tie knots in the sheet to make it fitted! You can tie a knot at the top corners and tuck the tails inside to make it fit snugly. It shouldn't interfere with the passenger's tv monitor or tray.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:42 pm 

Thanks Susan. Great tip!