* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a message from a member of my local support group:

Quote:
We are heading off to Europe this summer and I booked online at Air Canada, but you can't declare you allergies online. I called the reservation line and waited 1 hour, then I got through and they told me I had to call the medical desk instead. They put me through and I waited another 30 minutes.

To save you the extra waiting, here is the medical number:
1-800-667-4732
It is open 8am-8pm M-F and 9-6pm S-S.

Once you are through, you have to provide your Doctor's name, phone number and fax and they fax the doctor a form to complete and fax back. They then create a medical file for you and it is valid for 3 years and you can use it each time you travel, without going back to the doctor.

Interestingly enough, they only handle nut allergies, I asked to register my daughter's sesame allergy (since they serve sesame snacks) and they said I could not. They were only directed by the government to deal with nut allergies and they don't handle anything else.

Here is the link to the medical approval page on AC which does not mention allergies:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... dical.html

Here is a link to the allergy approval page on AC which does not mention the medical number:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... ional.html

I told Air Canada that they should put the medical number on their allergy page, but I hope this saves you some time.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Here is a message from a member of my local support group:

Quote:
Interestingly enough, they only handle nut allergies, I asked to register my daughter's sesame allergy (since they serve sesame snacks) and they said I could not. They were only directed by the government to deal with nut allergies and they don't handle anything else.

I was thinking about that when Mary posted this over here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6822

Here is from Government of Canada news release
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c6801.html

In our family, this does not affect us at all.....we worry about cooking/warming anything high in quantities of egg....as the fumes make Dd feel ill.....although everything I've read says she can't react unless ingested.....I wonder and worry.....especially in the air. On a personal level, we put a lot of thought into flying anywhere and haven't went overseas yet.....but thinking about the Phillipines.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:38 pm 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ngers.html

I can't help it - you just gotta read the comments. Check this one out.
Quote:
Have to agree with Air Canada. Peanuts are not a poison. A poison is dangerous to everyone. An allergy is a disability that affects certain people. Those people have to take responsibility for that disability and in this case bring their own snacks. Not an undue hardship at all. I have to bring my own peanuts.

At first you think oh, he gets it and then da da da daaaaa his stupidity shows.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Lol, I'm constantly amazed at how many people feel the need to make bold judgements about that which they know nothing about! :rofl

It's a great example of why more needs to be done to educate the public!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb